Grateful Dead (Official Thread)

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score
Polar Express

Though I've run (and perspired) in shorts and a tank top at around 60F the last couple days, I've pulled out the heavy artillery for the week's balance due to projected lows (sans wind chill) in the single digits (i.e., neck gaiter, insulated tights, and chemical handwarmers).

As previously mentioned in the "Recent Purchases" thread, thanks to a couple iTunes gift cards awaiting in the mail on my return from Holidays abroad, I've purchased 2 of the 3 remaining unacquired installments of the GD download series, specifically, volumes 3 & 6 - or, 10/26/71 (Palestra) and 3/17/68 (Carousel), respectively. For a release characterized by such consistently strong shows - as well as a few outstanding notables like 4/17/69, 2/4/70, and 12/10/73 - there's precious little chatter about it, especially when so many lament the lack of further official releases from such prime periods as Spring 68, 69, and 70, Fall 73, Spring 77, or anything between 80-89.

After a couple listens to each of nos. 3 and 6 while on the trails this wkend, #3 again surprises me with how quickly Keith not only adapted to his new position, but almost instantly contributed a unique melodic component that burgeoned in Technicolor over the next 8 years.

In the first 10 seconds of opener Bertha, you know that Fate has once again arranged a perfect transition in the midst of Pig's decline (in fact, after Bertha, Bobby announces that Ron is home ill, send good vibes, and "we got a new piano player and organ player with us this time, Keith Godchaux from California. That's all you need to know."). Tight, competent, and - as with The Eleven - exemplary renditions of even the standards (including the cowboy cavalcade)...it's clear that the superstructure for the stellar Spring and Fall 72 runs had been firmly established.

Yet, while that incarnation of the band would effectively integrate facets of a new identity with critical characteristics of the Primal Era - like those protracted, fuzzy, feedbacky, exploratory dialogues - there's precious little evidence of such in this late 71 transition period, though I suspect Keith would've been up for the challenge based on what transpires when the reigns are somewhat loosened during a 10:30+ minute Truckin' and 16-minute TOO.

Otherwise, volume 6 is a no-brainer (note, this is a partial release with the first set closer Lovelight and the full 2nd stanza): remember, the band is just a month removed from what might arguably be the best show among a field of 2,300 competing exhibits - 2/14 - and this performance simply swims in the soup of acidy improvisation that characterizes the very best of this pivotal year (not surprisingly, out of 130+ shows this one makes Blair's top 10 list for the 68 vintage). TOO and New Potato are absolutely molten - in fact, on any given day, this is arguably my favorite rendition of the latter - so it's fitting that excerpts from both were incorporated to the Frankenstein versions originally vinylized to life on "Anthem". It's $10 and worth the immediate expenditure without regard for whatever might be released by the TPTB for the 50th anny this year!/ peace, K

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
0152615396756659_6113087368030669587_n_zps7e9e03f0.jpg

We're thrilled to announce "Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead". To celebrate the band's 50th anniversary, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir will reunite at Chicago's Soldier Field, to perform on July 3, 4, and 5, 2015, marking the Grateful Dead's last-ever performance together.

The band will be joined by Trey Anastasio (guitar), Jeff Chimenti (keyboards), and Bruce Hornsby (piano). In the tradition of the original Grateful Dead Ticketing Mail Order, tickets will first be made available via a first-come, first-served mail order system.

All additional ticketing information is available at Dead 50

Taken from the Grateful Dead FB page.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Just picked up on it Phil. This is from 'Ultimate Classic Rock'.

The surviving “core four” members of the Grateful Dead will reunite over Fourth of July weekend at Soldier Field in Chicago for three concerts celebrating the band’s 50th anniversary.

For the shows, scheduled to take place July 3-5, Dead members Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart, and Bill Kreutzmann will be joined by an assortment of guests that includes former touring member Bruce Hornsby and Phish co-founder Trey Anastasio.

“This year is the 50th anniversary of the band we all know and love — the Grateful Dead,” says Jerry Garcia‘s daughter Trixie in the above video announcement. “There’s going to be a celebration. … This is an amazing American rock band, being celebrated on America’s birthday. It’s so significant that they’re doing the shows in Chicago — a central location for all Deadheads to gather, and it’s also the last place the Grateful Dead played together in 1995.”

It’s also what sounds like the closing of an age. As Weir told Billboard, “These will be the last shows with the four of us together” — something not lost on promoter Peter Shapiro, who added, “That’s why we’re doing it in Chicago. They’re the great American rock ‘n’ roll band returning to where it ended, 20 years later.”

“It is with respect and gratitude that we reconvene the Dead one last time to celebrate,” said Lesh. “Not merely the band’s legacy, but also the community that we’ve been playing to, and with, for 50 years.” And while this appears to be the end of the road for the Dead as a performing unit, Weir insisted fans shouldn’t mourn too deeply, saying, “I know we’ll all continue playing this music forever in our own ways. I’ve got some miles left in me.”

For more on the shows, including ticketing information, visit the Dead 50 website

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I know the Dead were once known as the Warlocks.Does anyone happen to know if they actually released any recordings under this name?If so,they certainly should be well valued collector's items.............

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score
HGM: Not contemporaneously. The Warlocks (Pig, Jerry, Bobby, Billy, and Dana Morgan - with Phil eventually replacing the latter) were formed in late '64 and played commercially under the moniker from May through November 1965.

To answer your question, the band went into the studios of Golden Gate Recorders in November 65 to lay down demos for Autumn Records (though, even then, not under the name "Warlocks", but rather "The Emergency Crew"!).

Two tracks from those demo recordings ("Can't Come Down" and "Caution") were released in the superb compilation "So Many Roads" (1999), while all six were subsequently issued as part of "The Golden Road" collection in 2001.

As a final footnote: due to negative backlash from local authorities and venue management over the general mayhem associated with the growing number of ticketless "fans" presenting at shows in the late 80s, the Dead covertly billed a couple performances in 1988 at the Hampton Coliseum (the tidewater coastal region of VA) under their original marquee, "The Warlocks" (though tickets read "Formerly The Warlocks"). In 2010, these 2 remarkably strong late-period shows (10/8-9/89) were released in a wonderfully packaged wooden cigar box set with the name Warlocks across the front.

HAMPTBOX.jpg

/peace, K

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score
Weir Everywhere

Okay, it's 0130 EST so I've likely just heard a rerun segment, but while covering some NCAAM action from last night, ESPN's Neil Everett just cited a passage from Hunter's lyrics to St. Stephen when describing a turnover and resulting basket: "one man gathers what another man spills"....just too darn cool! Sometimes the world isn't as hopeless at is appears...Happy 50th fellow Heads :) /peace, K

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Certainly there is a vast number of sixties tunes eschewing many life lesson lyrics.This is one of the things that draws me to the period as greatly as it has over the years.Not so true nowadays.At least most lyrics that I'VE heard provide much evidence that not too many of today's mainstreamers are terribly insightful when it comes to writing.Some have noting to say at all.BAck in the 60's,Bob Dylan encouraged the Beatles to work more diligently on their lyrics because he actually accused THEM of having "nothing to say".Of course,everyone here knows how influential Dylan was on the band(particularly John Lennon) and we all know how marvelous the result was.I think "Rubber Soul" is the best example here.................

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
"Thank you to all of the Deadheads for the amazing support that you have shown for the Fare Thee Well shows in Chicago! This morning you broke Ticketmaster’s on-sale record when nearly half a million of you queued up to buy tickets online. If you do not have tickets, please know that we are working on various ways to help everyone experience these shows in a way that will help you share this special moment with us. Stay tuned, and thank you for showing your love, we feel it!"

From the Dead50.net site.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online