Grateful Dead (Official Thread)

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
No classic rock forum should be without an official Grateful Dead thread.
Presentation2b.jpg

So, thank you Lord Grendel for getting the party started.

em21.gif
dance.gif
nana.gif beerbang.gif Inclassable37.gif

A very cool intro to one of the greatest American Rock And Roll Bands ever, if not the best?

I know there's some music fans out there who don't 'get' The Grateful Dead, so I've been always known to say...
The Grateful Dead aren't for everyone - but, they're for me. hippie.gif

It's hard to describe the Grateful Dead's music because they're ''a band beyond description''

Here's a non youtube video to get things started...

from the early days of The Grateful Dead...

A real cool tune that describes the San Francisco Haight-Ashbury scene, circa 1966/67...

*click* on the song title below to view this groovy video...

The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)

Fumeur13.gif
tune in and drop out man yeah...totally cool jamming band :bow:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I LOVE "Golden Road".If someone doesn't consider THIS one a truly "groovy" and "hip" tune,I'd like to know what their definitions of these terms are.I often listen to this one on "Skeletons In the Closet",a certain must have that I think covers 1969-'74.Awesome cover,but then ALL Dead albums boast some of the best ones ever.What's the one where if you hold the title up to a mirror,it reads the same.A really big Dead Head friend of mine once told me,but I can't recall which one he said it was.................

JimJam

Reaction score
I LOVE "Golden Road".If someone doesn't consider THIS one a truly "groovy" and "hip" tune,I'd like to know what their definitions of these terms are.I often listen to this one on "Skeletons In the Closet",a certain must have that I think covers 1969-'74.Awesome cover,but then ALL Dead albums boast some of the best ones ever.What's the one where if you hold the title up to a mirror,it reads the same.A really big Dead Head friend of mine once told me,but I can't recall which one he said it was.................

Great song to kick-off the debut album. I think the debut does not always receive enough credit. They were finding their way, perhaps not fully clear about what they wanted to do, with strong reliance on covers, but it's got strong material and a good feel - a "groovy" feel! Some of my favorites on the album, other than Golden Road, include Cold Rain & Snow, Morning Dew (possibly the best known track on the album), New New Minglewood Blues and Viola Lee Blues.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Yeah,sometimes I may not recognize the title of a song but HAVE heard it.This goes for most of the Dead's debut,which I once had on CD.I was absolutely blown away by the band's particular flavor of the psych-blues movement of the late sixties,a genre also excellently espoused by bands like Cream,Ten Years After and Vanilla Fudge."Grateful Dead" was an extraordinary start for what would prove to be an astoundingly epic group career.Even recent Phil Lesh performances without the aid of the late great Jerry Garcia have been very well received.And the beat goes on.Peace Out,brother..............

JimJam

Reaction score
A 1993 live jam of "The Other One" with the great Ornette Coleman on alto sax. Ornette died last week at age 85.

Abraxas

Reaction score
Been playing this quite a lot lately:

Attachments

• Grateful_Dead_Anthem_Of_The_Sun_c0829bd1-a35c-4fbd-b053-c8447375c51c_1024x1024.jpg
    Grateful_Dead_Anthem_Of_The_Sun_c0829bd1-a35c-4fbd-b053-c8447375c51c_1024x1024.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 9

JimJam

Reaction score
^^^
Anthem of the Sun is beautiful psychedelic madness!

Among others, i can't seem to get enough of "He's Gone," the version on Europe '72.

"Rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb, you know better but I know him.
Like I told you, what I said, steal your face right off your head."

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online