Grateful Dead (Official Thread)

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
I`ve been playing more live Dead than the bands studio output, IMHO there live works are always amazing :bow: :grinthumb

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score
Days of Jazz and Nixon's Demise

The unique gravitational pull of the Dead's transitional sound in 1974 drew me back today to an A-list show that - once again - incited smiles and wonder! Various facets of 6/8 could serve as exemplars for an exhaustive range of commonly invoked DeadHead superlatives like cosmic, mind melting, and other worldly.

While the crown's inarguable jewel is the split PITB, don't forget the delectable WR filling, worthy of a menu listing at Katz's Deli, in addition to a second course of epic Eyes that, in small pockets like 7:10, exemplifies the maturation of Keith's trademark contribution; as well, at 10:25, for a brief period, Jerry orbits independently around a tight planetary core of jazzy fusion until the ensemble realigns along the song's signature theme...all in all, it's about 57 minutes of pedigreed Dead that could take the podium for Best of Show alongside prime cuts from any era!

While I've practically memorized a couple lines from Ross's brief, but indelible, review, I now reopen the DeadBase tome for those who might not be familiar:

"The great thing about the big 74 Dead jams is the way the band totally loses its identity as a bunch of hippies from Marin and turns itself (and the audience) into dinosaurs, galaxies, hurricanes, whirlpools, amoebas...about two minutes into the [Playin'] jam, Garcia is already so far gone into his prehistoric condor jag that the rest of the band has no choice but to 'boldly go where no man has gone before'. So, what started out as a nice outdoor-fun-festival-picnic-type event has suddenly become some kind of howling cosmic frontier back about 400 million years ago....This is unquestionably one of the most powerful Playin' jams in history" and "it culminates in a colossal giant-soundsystem roar that is probably still rattling windows at the center of the galaxy." Whew.

With formal introductions completed, it's now Miller time (of the Charlie variety): http://www.gdao.org/items/show/257761

peace/K

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
love the dead

bleed hells bells and s*** no Grateful Dead for agesssssssssssssss:wa

wisertime

Keep on Truckin'
Reaction score
I never saw the Dead...I tripped through the crowds and had a time whenever they were in my neck of the woods and I saw a Jerry show one time in CT in the early '90s.

Although I didn't follow them and whatnot I have always loved them. I don't listen to them much, though, because I like to save them as a treat. Like today. Yesterday I picked up a clean copy of Europe '72 yesterday and I played it for a while until life made me go and do other things.

I am listening to it now and I gotta say -- OMFG the Grateful Dead are about the awesomest band ever, just as I always suspected. I am metal, jazz, blues, soul, funk... all day long. But, if it's a choice between Zeppelin or Sly and the Family Stone or Muddy Waters and the Dead, I am choosing the Dead. There is just something about this meandering country-folk-rock that kills everything else. There is a ton of love coming from every note. There is an "I know, dude" about it all.

The Dead isn't for everyone, I know. Pffft, too bad for them ;)

As for this triple album - meh. The music is, of course, stellar, but the vinyl is loud and the songs don't have much in the way of crowd noise between them at all. They just picked tunes from the show, or a series of shows, and slapped them on an album. This is why I would much rather just download a show from archive.org and hit play one time.....

The Dead - it's a state of being more than a bunch of notes.

JimJam

Reaction score
^^^
Europe '72 is for the hardcore believers but it contains many essential tracks. However, as stated above, entire single concerts are readily available, such as the Dick's Picks series.

I saw the Dead once, in 1979 when i was a senior in high school, and i loved it. I was not an avid fan but someone got sick and i was offered the extra ticket. They opened with an epic-length "Sugaree" and mixed their popular songs with lesser knowns and the expected jams. The feeling of community in the crowd was impossible not to notice and not only because everyone was getting high. The vibe was as one would expect.

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score
Iconoclasm

Some rather unconventional observations here recently; can't say I've heard E72 characterized as "hardcore", which implies relative inaccessibility...indeed, the tour compilation that preceded the wondrous glut of full live releases over the last 20 years - esp. the complete Spring Euro tour - has frequently been cited as gateway music for the indoctrination of casual listeners (i.e., Beauty and Workingman's) to the prodigious live catalogue. In fact, on the rare occasion a friend actually expresses an interest in hearing some Dead, I'll pull an E72 show or one of the countless official Spring 77 releases; both of which, while unique, share common denominators of staggering technical proficiency, remarkable improvisatory creativeness, and seemingly improbable consistency of sustained performance excellence throughout shows, runs, and tours.

Glad you're on the bus, wiser! However, I'd contend that the E72 comp is far from a haphazard amalgamation, but rather a discreetly selected collection of premium renditions from 9 of 22 shows - a task I'd've found virtually impossible! My only complaint is the degree of post production, though perhaps that's what's made it so palatable to a mainstream audience over the decades. Anyway, should you be interested, keep an eye on deadnet.com around T'giving as I was able to purchase the E72 "music only" edition for 20% off on a Black Friday 4 yrs ago ($360!!!) - and it remains the crown jewel of my nearly comprehensive collection.

Of further note: Deadbase 50 is now available (if the first printing hasn't already sold out), a certifiable "must have" that will see exhaustive wear and tear over the years (as attested by my battered copy of Vol.IX).

http://www.amazon.com/DeadBase-50-Celebrating-Years-Grateful/dp/069247093X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Between this and 30 Trips, the Golden anniversary have proven predictably expensive...but veritably worth every penny...WOOT!/peace, Katherine

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online

No members online now.