Glen Campbell Dies at 81

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com
Kris-Connor.jpg

Glen Campbell, the music legend whose career spanned more than 50 years, has died. He was 81.

According to TMZ, Campbell died around 10 AM today in Nashville, where he was being treated for Alzheimer’s disease. Over the course of his five-decade career, he had scored two No. 1 hits on the pop chart, many others on the country chart and played on the Beach Boys‘ classic Pet Sounds album.

Campbell got his start in 1960 as a session musician in Los Angeles, where he moved from his home state of Alabama. He played with the Champs (who reached the top of the chart with “Tequila” a couple of years before Campbell joined), the Hondells (“Little Honda,” which was written by the Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson) and the Beach Boys (he played guitar and banjo on 1966’s Pet Sounds).

In 1967, he was part of the studio project Sagittarius, before his solo career — which he tried to launch since the early part of the ’60s with a handful of stalled singles that graced the bottom part of the Top 100 — took off later that year with his cover of Jimmy Webb’s “By the Time I Get to Phoenix.”

He won a Grammy for that performance, and within with the next few years he racked up more hits, including “Gentle on My Mind,” the great “Wichita Lineman” (which reached No. 3) and “Galveston” – the latter of which, like “Phoenix” and “Wichita,” was penned by Webb. (Campbell earned a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012.)

From 1968-72, he hosted the TV show The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, and became one of the nation’s most popular performers. He starred in some movies in the early ’70s — including True Grit, alongside John Wayne — as he stacked up hit after hit on the country and adult contemporary charts. Both “Rhinestone Cowboy,” from 1976, and “Southern Nights,” from 1977, reached No. 1 on the pop singles chart.

In all, Campbell had more than 75 hits on the country chart, and more than 40 each on the adult contemporary and pop charts.

In 2011, he announced he was suffering from Alzheimer’s. In June of this year, he released his 64th and final studio album, Adios, which debuted in the Top 40. A 2014 movie, I’ll Be Me, chronicled his life story as well as his final years.

Read More: Glen Campbell Dies at 81 | Glen Campbell Dies at 81

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
That's a bummer.
He was a great musician. Part of the wrecking crew.
He really was a great guitarist and a huge star.
Jimmy Webb who wrote GC's greatest hits on his passing
http://variety.com/2017/music/news/jimmy-webb-remembers-glen-campbell-songwriter-1202520456/
He gave me a great wide lens through which to look at music. The cult of The Players? He was at the very center. He loved the Beach Boys and in subtle ways helped mold their sound. He loved Don and Phil [Everly], Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield [the Righteous Brothers], Flatt and Scruggs. This was the one great lesson that I learned from him as a kid: Musically speaking nothing is out of bounds. Of course, he lavished affection and gifts on his kids, family and friends. His love was a deep mercurial thing and once committed he was a tenacious friend as so many in Nashville and Phoenix, L.A. and New York, compadres all over the world would testify. One of his favorite songs was “Try A Little Kindness” in which he sings “shine your light on everyone you see.” My God. Did he do that or what? Just thinking back I believe suddenly that the “raison d’etre” for every Glen Campbell show was to bring every suffering soul within the sound of his voice up a peg or two. Leave ’em laughin.’ Leave them feeling just a little tad better about themselves; even though he might have to make them cry a couple of times to get ’em there. What a majestically graceful and kind, top rate performer was Glen on his worst night!

Galveston

Last edited:

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
A great session guitarist and overall outstanding musician... RIP with a whole lot of respect. :uh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online