Giving That Album Another Try

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I really can't think of a single example of a record I went back to that grew on me...:think:

I am very patient, and a record has to be utter bollocks for me to give up on it, that is a lesson I learned decades ago. I will give an album my undivided attention for a month or so playing it 3 or 4 times minimum before making up my mind about it.

If one comes to mind I'll be back to post it Peacheater.;)

billyporter

Reaction score
faith no more's angel dust.

i entered a competition and this was the prize. i didn't like the band but i thought if i won i'd sell it at the 2nd hand record store.
it came and i thought i should at least give it a bit of a listen. i did, and i really love it!
i don't care for any of their other stuff but this one is one of my favourite albums ever.

this isn't an album but a track by lizzy.
i never liked this song whatsoever and didn't for quite a while. however at some stage it won me completely because of the lyrics. this is the only song that has done this to me.
i love all the words but the verse after the solo is the one i always listen out for.
its pure fantasy!
usually i don't care what words are being sung, i like the music more than lyrics but this is an exception.
heres is phil looking uncomfortable singing without guitar of band on a tv show.

Philip Lynott - Thin Lizzy - Fool's Gold (Me and my music 1977) - YouTube

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
I remember when I first discovered Tori, I didn't like Boys for Pele at all.. But months later I decided to give it another spin and I instantly started connecting with it like never before. Now it's in my top favorite albums.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I remember when I first discovered Tori, I didn't like Boys for Pele at all.. But months later I decided to give it another spin and I instantly started connecting with it like never before. Now it's in my top favorite albums.

That was my first Tori album dude and my experience as well. I knew nothing about her and she was a random selection through BMG music club. I used to mark off random c.d.s that looked interesting and just asked my Mom to surprise me based on what I marked off for Christmas, Birthdays, etc. When I first listened to it, it was rawer, stranger and more intimate than anything I'd ever heard. Songs that I love now like this one scared me away :tongue::

Blood Roses

My hook was this song personally. One of the most understated, sweet songs I've ever heard:

Putting The Damage On

More and more I started listening and warming up to the album and it changed my course in music completely. Tori is still my second favorite artist right behind the Pumpkins and I've never amassed such a big catalog in such a short period of time than with her. Between albums (studio, live, etc., EPs, singles, boxsets (unfortunately missing the Bootlegs :uh:), VHS, DVDs and interview disc she's the artist I own more of than anyone. :)

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Exile on Main St by the Rolling Stones...I thought it was way too long for a while, and gave it a pass. Now I think it's THE essential rock 'n roll album.

Could not agree more, it's the ultimate grower. Must have listened to it 20 times in the 1990's on the back of all of those "best album ever" polls that publications such as Mojo and Q magazine were so fond of running back then and in which Exile would invariably appear in the top 10. I just didn't get what all the fuss was about.

It took me until 2011 (yep, last year, I kid you not) to realise that it's an organically brilliant rock album and perhaps the definitive Stones album.

I suspect I'm onto something similar with Patti Smith's Horses. I kinda of get it after (again) 20 years but am sure it still hasn't fully clicked. The same thing happened with Television's Marquee Moon, which I now regard as one of the greatest rock albums I've ever heard (a cool 10 years to get into that one properly).

Strange old game this music thingy.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Could not agree more, it's the ultimate grower. Must have listened to it 20 times in the 1990's on the back of all of those "best album ever" polls that publications such as Mojo and Q magazine were so fond of running back then and in which Exile would invariably appear in the top 10. I just didn't get what all the fuss was about.

It took me until 2011 (yep, last year, I kid you not) to realise that it's an organically brilliant rock album and perhaps the definitive Stones album.

I suspect I'm onto something similar with Patti Smith's Horses. I kinda of get it after (again) 20 years but am sure it still hasn't fully clicked. The same thing happened with Television's Marquee Moon, which I now regard as one of the greatest rock albums I've ever heard (a cool 10 years to get into that one properly).

Strange old game this music thingy.

I completely agree...Marquee Moon is another one of those grower albums. I dismissed it early on, but the more I listened to it (particularly the title track), the more I loved it. It's a very transcendent, challenging record. I've loved Patti and Horses since the first time I heard her when I was 15, though.

topherphillips

Reaction score
Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan is the first album that comes to mind.

It's not that I ever didn't like it, it just was never anything more then "alright". Although first time I listened to it I was a teenager listening to mostly metal. A couple years later, I was like "haven't listened to that in a long time" and I fell in love with it.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As a teenager, I thought Van Morrison's music was the most boring stuff.

Today, however, I LOVE Van the Man.

Moondance is now one of my most treasured albums.

vanmorrison-moondance-cover.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online