Gene Simmons slams today's poprock artists

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Yeah, and I kind of forgot the anything after 1950's-1980 deal. That was wierd. Yes, there are plenty of artists from 1980 on that stood the test of time, and there's no denying it.

I think Gene is just part of the old cranky syndrome now. His heart and thought is in the right place...he's defending rock in general, but it doesn't come out right.

I dunno, I don't believe he dislikes as much as he let on in this report. I only agree that alot of mainstream stuff can sound the same after a while, but I also, like you, spend more time looking past radio to see what's hot, and who got signed for the songs and the talent, and sometimes the show too...but mainly I'm looking for the good music and it's out there..alot of it. :grinthumb

Yea he is with out question old and cranky haha. I get where he is coming from, but he just spouts off with out thinking it seems just to have his voice heard.
I do agree as well. Most mainstream stuff now all sounds the same after a while. Most of the people I know listen to the radio (I totally avoid it) and also listen to other things that are suggested to them from other friends. I've turned on a few friends to some of the stuff I listen to which shouled me because that I would never think would listen to some of it, but they did. Good music will get to the people even if it is not right away.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
I think Simmons is right (aside from his take on beaver and lady rip off). I go to the gym, and they play this new (21'st century) rock--and it all sounds the same. It's got as much personality as a head of iceburg lettuce. I mean it's OK; it's better than rap which is complete shit, but it's generally just bland as hell.

:grinthumb

Agree...lmao Head Of Lettuce :heheh::heheh:

Yes, he's only saying kind things about Gaga because her bf likes KISS and he's KISSin' Arse imo {read a mag about how she bought bf tickets to a show and mushed up back stage with the band etc} You know he's Mr Ego..so thats whats thats about..DON'T get me started on Gaga 'original' thing:rolleyes:

Gene Simmons knows damn well she popular AND he knows the people she rips off !

Same for Beiber..

one thing is for sure...he got us all talking about him..good or bad :D
He IS the Master Of Manipulators..

genius lol

yes his ego is bigger than The Grand Canyon..but he's putting right in his bank

haha Genes Winning either way..

and

Last edited:

ANF

Reaction score
Do people know how to look past the radio? Or is that just a hard concept to grasp?

Thank you. Very little of what is on radio appeals to me... yet I love dozens of current artists. Top 40/Contemporary "Rock" radio is a whole different thing that what we listened to as kids. There are so many great artists out now, radio just isn't the place to find them (although some of the AAA stations aren't bad)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
If it's not the internet, one of the best ways I found in discovering and buying new music is going the old school route.

Cool cover and/or image of artist, take the gamble make the purchase and BAM...cool new music.

:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Gotta love Gene for making good copy, whether or not I agree with him is another story.

There are tons of bands that sounded similar from the 50's to 2010's...sure there are some giants from the early years, but that is also due to them being of a stature that new fans continually discover them and keep them relevant. Led Zeppelin comes to mind right away.

I have found so many good European rock bands from the 90's to now that they have single handed reinvigorated my interest in music. Far more than the North American artists have. They are not inventing anything new, but who cares they are making good music and I enjoy listening to them.

I don't mind Gene shooting from the lip, but he has to realize his band has not really done anything new and marvelous either, they stick to the formula that has worked for them for decades.

Gaga...Bieber...:hm:...everyone in here already knows what I think of them...as musicians.;)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
All in all, isn't Gene kinda/sorta saying something that we have all seen on various music forums over the past 10 years? ... "Is Rock Dead?"....

I've seen this topic all over the internet. Some people are stuck in their ways and what they consider great, they'll probably always consider great. The evolution of music is something that not everyone grabs tightly and holds dearly. Some of us wish things were always what they were. others scoff at "is rock dead" and list off 493 different bands that they feel are great rock bands saying rock is alive and kicking... while the people from that first group look at that list and cross of 490 of those bands saying "you have to be kidding me".

Gene is no different than the rest of us, other than he said something many others have said over the years in front of a microphone.

I'm not defending him for saying it, nor am I condemning him. I have no reason to back him other than in some ways, I can totally see what he's saying. personally, I believe that his comment about "nothing after 1980" is worth a crap or worthy of remembering was just an over-generalized statement. Not "for fact, every single band, album and song since 1980 has been shit", and I think a few of you are taking that statement WAY too literally.

JM2CW.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Given his tendency to spew hyperboles, I can't resist a good Gene Simmons quote. Unfortunately, this isn't one of his better ones.

Nearly every high-profile rock and roll artist (including metal guys) worth a damn who has been recording for at least 20-25 years, regardless of when their career started, has said the very same thing(s) to some magazine, newspaper, radio dj or television host at least once.

Still, I think Gene has a point about the general lack of good performers in today's market. I believe there is plenty of good songwriting out there, but performers? Not so much.

For me, just because a person writes a good song, it doesn't always mean they are always the best person to perform it, record it or sing it on the road. From my era alone, people like Jim Steinman and Desmond Child prove that point soundly.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
f20rah.jpg

Gene's biggest addiction and cause of most of his headaches...:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ByronPasch