Gene Simmons Declares That Rock Is Dead

Aero

Reaction score
Gene has made the papers once again, this time declaring that rock was murdered years ago, the time when Napster arrived and offered free music to everyone. He puts the blame on entitled rich kids but it's obvious that he's off on a rant and isn't thinking clearly. Everyone wants something for free.

But is this really the only thing that killed rock? I don't think so.

He also says that the great years of rock and roll ended in '83. I think rock was still strong until about '89 when Guns and Roses ruled the late 80s with their brand of music.

What do you say?

Gene Simmons: 'Rock Is Finally Dead' | Rolling Stone

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
I think, that Airbourne, H.E.A.T., Ayreon, Muse, Gotthard, Shakra and more great bands shouldn't agree with him.

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
The state of music media sucks no doubt but there is still a hell lot of people making music that moves the soul If you are wiling to look into it personally(thats what the internets for ...) instead of having someone, radio etc. stuff their tried crap down your throat. Rock and is still alive and going strong as an artform ....as a business. ..not so much.

Vader

Reaction score
Well, Gene IS all about the business so I have little doubt that is what he is bitching about to a large degree.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Nah, only to a partial degree. Read the article, he says what he means both from a recording/songwriting standpoint as well as the underlying effect from a business standpoint.

Vader

Reaction score
Well, Gene has written some pretty good songs over the years but he is definitely no expert on the craft imo lol

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online