Free (Official Thread)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Re: Free

I never really gave Free much time. Pretty much Alright Now is about all I ever heard and it was so over played I got sick of it and over looked this band.
What a mistake! These guys are great .I'm definitely looking into purchasing CDs after spending some more time in this thread.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score

I never really gave Free much time. Pretty much Alright Now is about all I ever heard and it was so over played I got sick of it and over looked this band.
What a mistake! These guys are great .I'm definitely looking into purchasing CDs after spending some more time in this thread.

I was along the same lines with this until about a year ago.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Man this band should have been massive. :bow:

Ride On A Pony

IMO they had it all and it just came natural. What a shame it had to end.

FireandWater

Family Man
Reaction score

During their time they were 2nd in record sells in England only behind Zeppelin. They should have been bigger but maybe that would have ruined what I love about them the most. Their debut album is a must have for any blues/rock fan. Fire and Water is just amazing. Paul Rodgers to me is the best singer in rock history. Kossoff had a very unique sound and a vibrato that no one still today can match. Fraser is a top notch bass player that was basically a prodigy. His Bass solo and riff on Mr. Big is genius. Kirke is a drummer that has plenty of talent without being too flashy. Together, they were a very young band none over 18 when they recorded their debut. Yet, they sounded like they have been playing for 20 plus years in the blues scene. Who knows what could have been but one thing is for sure--they are one of the most underrated bands in history.

KossKathandKeaggy

"Space Cowboy"
Reaction score

During their time they were 2nd in record sells in England only behind Zeppelin. They should have been bigger but maybe that would have ruined what I love about them the most. Their debut album is a must have for any blues/rock fan. Fire and Water is just amazing. Paul Rodgers to me is the best singer in rock history. Kossoff had a very unique sound and a vibrato that no one still today can match. Fraser is a top notch bass player that was basically a prodigy. His Bass solo and riff on Mr. Big is genius. Kirke is a drummer that has plenty of talent without being too flashy. Together, they were a very young band none over 18 when they recorded their debut. Yet, they sounded like they have been playing for 20 plus years in the blues scene. Who knows what could have been but one thing is for sure--they are one of the most underrated bands in history.

To make a post on this official Free thread I would probably just reiterate what this person said.

I like the fact that they are the kind of band you only really know if you do some research and get beyond FM radio, it can almost be like a litmus test to see how much someone else knows about classic rock and what out there is really good. Youtube viewers never gave me a response to this, but I bet I can get one here.....

I love when I can hear Free's influence. Does anyone else agree that Lynyrd Skynyrd's song "On the Hunt" is a song done in the style of Free's "Woman"?

It's there totally I swear!!!!

Free: Free - Woman (Live) - YouTube
Skynyrd: Lynyrd Skynyrd - On The Hunt - YouTube

Rossington shows Kossoff's influence strongly....

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^ I have often thought I can hear traces of Free influence and style in the Southern Rock bands of the Seventies, Skynyrd and Blackfoot for sure IMO. :grinthumb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I would REALLY like to hear something from Free on the radio other than the ONE goddamn song that is ALWAYS and ONLY played. One guess which one it is.

:banghead:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online