Free (Official Thread)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
The follow up to "Tons Of Sobs" was the self titled album released in 1969. Already the cracks were showing at the start of this album as band members had different ideas about direction, discipline and freedom being the issue. It was the intervention of Chris Blackwell of Island Records that held them together. The album showcases the superb talent of the band with the Bass and song writing of Andy coming to the front. At the time there was no massive initial impact with this one but for me it's just a fantastic album.

Side one
1."I'll Be Creepin'" – 3:27
2."Songs of Yesterday" – 3:33
3."Lying in the Sunshine" – 3:51
4."Trouble on Double Time" (Fraser, Rodgers, Simon Kirke, Paul Kossoff) – 3:23
5."Mouthful of Grass" – 3:36
Side two
1."Woman" – 3:50
2."Free Me" – 5:24
3."Broad Daylight" – 3:15
4."Mourning Sad Morning" – 5:04

Mourning Sad Morning

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Nice thread! I'll toss in a classic cut!

Alright Now live on the Beat Club

Jason Lee's character in Almost Famous always reminded me of a young Paul Rodgers. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Right??? They had that whole Free meets Zeppelin meets Heep...those type of bands goin' on. :cheers2

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
Free rules! What an extremely overlooked band. I have about 6 or 7 vinyl LP's by them, legendary stuff. i'm still so amazed how young they were in those first few years, they should've been so much bigger popularity wise.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
In 1970 Free released their third studio album the one with the big hit on it. The classic album "Fire And Water" is peppered with great tracks IMO. It's a 5/5 on the rating scale for me, simply a great Blues/Rock album.

cj7lw.jpg

1 Fire and Water

2 Oh I Wept

3 Remember

4 Heavy Load

5 Mr. Big

6 Don't Say You Love Me

7 All Right Now

Oh I Wept

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
The title track is an absolute killer but one that I really drift away with is "Heavy Load", as laid back as it gets.

Heavy Load

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Sox, what 3 LPs would you recommend to start w/? The Record Outlet that I've
been going to has a full bin of Free albums. I'm still pretty ignorant about them I must confess.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^I would go with the Debut "Tons Of Sobs", "Fire And Water" and maybe "Highway" DKW but I am really bias as they are one of my favourite bands ... so all in all any would serve but some people aren't keen on the last album "Heartbreaker" because Koss has less input.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online