Forgotten Bands of the Sixties

Sir Sartana

Reaction score
I would suggest buying the Nuggets complation for a great sense of how many great bands were forgotten or had bad management so they were left behind and forgotten.
Here are a few bands you can check out that I feel were never given their just dues.

FEVERTREE
CHOCOLATE WATCH BAND
MUSIC MACHINE
CREATION Eddie Phillips their guitarist used a bow on his guitar back in 1964, now where do you think Page the plagarist got the idea from?
SIR LORD BALTIMORE
THE STANDELLS
SEEDS
AMBOY DUKES TED NUGENTS FIRST BAND
LEMON DROPS
PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS
GRAND FUNK
GUN
MOVING SIDEWALKS BILLY GIBBONS GUITARIST FOR ZZ TOP 1ST BAND-HENDRIX SAID HE WILL BE BIG AFTER HAVING THEM BACK HIM UP IN A SERIES OF CONCERTS
ZOMBIES
TROGGS
THE MOVE
THEM
SHADOWS OF KNIGHT
LOVE
CROW
BLOODWYN PIG
SAVOY BROWN
GROUNDHOGS
FAMILY
THE NICE
THE PRETTY THINGS
THE HOLLIES

These are just a few examples imho of forgotten bands,the list is much longer!

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Yes...both Nuggets (covering U.S. bands) and Nuggets 2 (which covers European and international bands of the same period in the mid 60s) are essential components of a proper 60s music library.

Amused2Death

Reaction score
I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if anyone has already mentioned the Small Faces. They were very big in Britain for a stretch and "Itchycoo Park", an acid rock favorite, was banned by many stations for its clear reference to tripping out. With the proper management this band should have been among the greats. They rank in my top 20.

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if anyone has already mentioned the Small Faces. They were very big in Britain for a stretch and "Itchycoo Park", an acid rock favorite, was banned by many stations for its clear reference to tripping out. With the proper management this band should have been among the greats. They rank in my top 20.

I mentioned them in a list I made of one hit wonders of 1967 earlier but I am glad someone else enjoyed them. You got me curious about them so I had to do a search. Now I think I may have to recheck them out. There may be some great music I missed since all I know from them Is Itchycoo Park. Here is the website for the biography I found on them.

BTW. Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy.

http://www.windowsmedia.com/Mediaguide/Templates/Biography.aspx?p_id=P 5461

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
It should be noted that the band Small Faces (which had an impressive collection of psychedelic era work in their own right) evolved later into the band Faces with Rod Stewart at the helm and an equally impressive (and far more commercially successful) body of work in the early 70s (though very different--more of a bar-band vibe) before Stewart went off on his own.

aerozep

Reaction score
I'm glad someone finally mentioned the McCoys with ol' Rick Derringer and if I'm not mistaken that was his brother Randy on drums....
I was also a B I G Sam the Sham & the Pharohs fan,You can't get much better rock 'n' roll than "Wooly Bully"

Peace:spit: :cheers: :****: :bump:

O

olddawnburntout

-

I have that tune on a compilation album... Really a great melodic piece of psychedelic pop, but I don't remember the history behind it... If I get ambitious I'll dig out the liner notes...

-

i like this tune too it is real cool

carlozzi006

Reaction score
John Mayall is amazing and it's sad he isn't really remembered today.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band were also really good.

Don't know if they've been mentioned already but Audience was a pretty good band.

And so was Captain Beyond

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online