Forgotten Bands of the Sixties

deezee

Reaction score
a group i loved but seem all to soon forgotten are the youngbloods. i found it really sad when cds hit that i had to get theirs from germany as no american company was issuing them at the time. the last time i saw them live was in the earlish 70's in some biker bar in the bronx..man that was totally the wrong music for that bar! they were doing "get together" and the crowd was looking to get drunk and kill each other.

and the blues project was one of my neighborhood favorites. they used to practice in the basment of the albert hotel (now condos) across the street from me. they were fantastic.

and a more obscure group....kangaroo.they played at the cafe wha? a lot when i was kid.

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
deezee said:
a group i loved but seem all to soon forgotten are the youngbloods. i found it really sad when cds hit that i had to get theirs from germany as no american company was issuing them at the time. the last time i saw them live was in the earlish 70's in some biker bar in the bronx..man that was totally the wrong music for that bar! they were doing "get together" and the crowd was looking to get drunk and kill each other.

I saw the Youngbloods several times @ the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco @ Sutter & Van Ness in '67-68. They were a favorite of Chet Helms & the Family Dog collective...they never really gigged that much @ the Fillmore for Bill Graham...even back then, politics ruled.

48010581-263a-015A019D-.gif

I really liked the music of Jerry Corbitt, Banana, Joe Bauer, & Jesse Colin Young. Besides "Get Together"...my favorite song was "Darkness Darkness".

Avalon Jan '68
48010603-02e1-017E021A-.gif

My best & closest Youngbloods experience was @ the Northern California Folk Rock Festival @ the San Jose Fairgrounds in May of '68.

As a copyboy / photgrapher's assistant @ my job @ the Oakland Tribune, I got assigned to cover the concert...& I got to sit onstage not 10 ft from Jesse for the Youngblood's entire performance (as well as the Electric Flag & later that day, the Doors).

46977013-ce7a-013801E0-.gif

squeedle53

Chunkadelic!
Reaction score
How about Ultimate Spinach and The Beacon Street Union. Forgotten, or just not remembered?

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score
One of the more psychedelic songs of the 60's is "Pictures of Matchstick Men" by Status Quo.

Last edited:

Psychedelic Syd

Centurion of Psychedelia
Reaction score
A good British Invasion band that rarely gets mentioned these days are The Dave Clark Five... Back in 1964-65 they were among the pop elite... Now they seem to barely be a footnote to that era...

-

ArthurLee

Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
"White Bird" is a song that's been on my mind lately. I haven't heard it in many years, and I'd love to hear it again.

Just listened to this song and I have to say that (in parts anyway) it reminds me of a few songs by HP Lovecraft. I think it's the delivery and harmonies. Anyone remember HP Lovecraft? 'The White Ship' is pure class. as is 'That's The Bag I'm In'

Must dig out the albums.

ArthurLee

Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
Download "They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaaa!" and play it five times. That should take care of your problem...or perhaps present you with a much worse problem! :D

I remember the vinyl single. The flip side was the 'A' side played backwards! Listen to that 5 times and you'll really not be sure if you have a problem or not! :banghead:

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
ArthurLee said:
Just listened to this song and I have to say that (in parts anyway) it reminds me of a few songs by HP Lovecraft. I think it's the delivery and harmonies. Anyone remember HP Lovecraft? 'The White Ship' is pure class. as is 'That's The Bag I'm In'

Must dig out the albums.

I finally got the It's A Beautiful Day album a few weeks back, so now I've heard "White Bird" again quite a few times.

HP Lovecraft were fabulous. Their second album knocks me out. I only discovered them in the last few years.

squeedle53

Chunkadelic!
Reaction score
How about The McCoys, featuring guitar slinger Rick Derringer. If I remember correctly, he was but 16 or 17 when he hit the big time with "Hang On Sloopy". He went on to have a huge, though not mainstream career, playing for and with Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, DBA (Derringer, Bogart and Appice) and many, many solo records as well as backing up countless other acts as a gun for hire.

And Stawberry Alarm Clock. "Inscense and Peppermint" notwithstanding, that album is GREAT, a real nugget of psychedelia. Founding guitarist Ed King went on to join Lynard Skynard while the rest of the band, in some form, recently toured.

ArthurLee

Reaction score
What a wonderful thread! Living in England, I spent my teen years through most of the sixties - and what a time it was. Just the mention of some of the bands is very, very evocative. The smells, opening up a vinyl album (I can even remember the smell of the 'Sgt Pepper' album when I opened it), the live gigs, the girls :D, the smell of incence, the clothes ........... Somebody stop me or I'm apt to go on forever!

Anyway, back to lost bands of the sixties. I'm not sure what qualifies as 'lost' but I can distinctly remember (I've still got the vinyl albums) the CBS samplers 'Fill Your Head With Rock' & 'The Rock Machine Turns You On'. These albums introduced me to mainly American (West Coast?) bands such as Moby Grape, The United States Of America, The Electric Flag, The Peanut Butter Conspiracy, Steamhammer and Pacific Gas & Electric to name but a few. It was really weird because I came to like and enjoy the tracks on the samplers but when checking out the bands' albums, at times I was disappointed - although conversely I got to hear some great albums. Can anyone remember these bands?

As far as the British scene goes, I grew up with the likes of Argent, Grapefruit, The Herd (Peter Frampton's band), Barclay James Harvest, The Pretty Things and The Small Faces (Ogden's Nut Gone Flake is a seminal classic - check it out if you can).

I've been trawling through the stuff I have on my PC and there's a curiosity that I'm fascinated with. The song is called 'Father's Name Was Dad' by a band called Fire. Can anyone shed any light on this song?

Plenty to talk about I'm sure but as I am typing, for some strange reason, Iron Butterfly came to mind. There you have it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online