Forgotten Bands of the Sixties

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Okay, we have a thread like this in the 70s forum and I was thinking maybe we should have one here. I've found some interesting bands on that thread so let's try one from the sixties. I was pretty much a kid in the sixties so I don't remember and know as much about it as I do about the other decades following. I'm just hoping to pick up on some great bands I might have missed.

So? Anyone?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Well, the Remains are for me. Thanks, Rev.

Like the Knickerbockers, though. :)

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
The Remains were kind of a Beatles-sound-alike band who actually toured with the Fabs in '66. But they did one single that year which is included on the Nuggets box set that is truly notable for its aggressiveness and innovation, called "Don't Look Back". It got some scattered airplay in the industrial midwest. It was notable for its use of fender rhodes piano and it's wildly storming black-gospel-influeneced middle section. One of the really great forgotten '60s singles.

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score
The Kinks. I guess they aren't "forgotten" but they really don't get enough credit for being a great band.

PickAttack

ZIG ZAG MAN
Reaction score
I was a little young for the 60's but I think some were.....

Love
The Troggs
Spirit
Dave Clarke Five
Night Crawlers
The Standells
The Shadows of Knight
The Kingsmen
Paul Revere and the Raiders
Vanilla Fudge.

and many more I can't recall....

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
I don't know if you could really call Nazz a forgotten band, but I don't run into a whole lot of people who know who they were or ever heard their music. Todd Rundgren fans (like myself, of course) are quite aware of their work, but otherwise they're pretty obscure, I think. They did two monumental albums in the late 60s, and their "Open My Eyes" was a moderately successful single.

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score
I have to add Iron Butterfly. What a great band and they get no recognition today.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
I don't know if you could really call Nazz a forgotten band, but I don't run into a whole lot of people who know who they were or ever heard their music. Todd Rundgren fans (like myself, of course) are quite aware of their work, but otherwise they're pretty obscure, I think. They did two monumental albums in the late 60s, and their "Open My Eyes" was a moderately successful single.
Good call. I haven't thought about them for years. Thanks for the reminder.

Oh and as for the Kinks, guess maybe it's the company I keep or something but I was under the impression most people have a great opinion of them. My stepson and his bandmates seem to really think the Kinks were pretty great. The kid asked to borrow my Kinks and Clash CDs and it made my maternal heart quite proud. :D

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score
Everyone who I taqlk to that knows of them likes them a lot, but very few people know about them. Charlotte doesn't seem to have much classic rock fans.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online