Forgotten Bands of the Sixties

chrlbaseball88

Reaction score
Anyone ever listen to the Beau Brummels? I just started listening to them about a month ago and they are fantastic. It was them and the Byrds that first ventured into country rock, but they got relatively no recognition. Download "Laugh, Laugh" if you need a starting point...Also, if you listen to them, pay attention to the vocalist - Sal Valentino sounds very similar to Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane.

chrlbaseball88

Reaction score
Traffic was also a great band that I don't feel people know enough about. Listen to John Barleycorn Must Die and you'll hear the true genius of Steve Winwood

chrlbaseball88

Reaction score
Oh I thought of one more...Gerry and the Pacemakers. They were the Beatles early rivals in Liverpool and were one hell of a band...unfortunately they didn't quite have the musical innovation that the Beatles had, and they slowly died out by 65 or 66. To me, the songs they sing sound like the Beatles from the 1st Anthology. They do a wonderful version of "How Do You Do It"

SlickDick

Reaction score
Man o manechevitz you guys rock this is a great thread.
Does anyone remember San Fransico and Mad River,Dayblindness,Crow,Country Joe and the Fish?
The New Vaudeville Band,Billy J.Kramer and the Dakotas,Twinkle,Dave Berry?

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
Anyone ever listen to the Beau Brummels? I just started listening to them about a month ago and they are fantastic. It was them and the Byrds that first ventured into country rock, but they got relatively no recognition. Download "Laugh, Laugh" if you need a starting point...Also, if you listen to them, pay attention to the vocalist - Sal Valentino sounds very similar to Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane.

The Beau Brummels were a great band. "Just A Little" was another great song. Very similar to "Laugh Laugh" but great lyrics.'
Traffic is another group I have been listening to lately "Dear Mr. Fantasy" is my favorite plus John Barleycorn.

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
The Buckinghams were a great forgotten band for sure. Here is one that is so forgotten I am not sure they remember who they were.

The Avant Guard. They had a song called "Naturally stoned that as I remember was really good but it's been a long time. I think I will go do a search and see if I can find it.

G

gottafeelin

I mentioned them in a list I made of one hit wonders of 1967 earlier but I am glad someone else enjoyed them. You got me curious about them so I had to do a search. Now I think I may have to recheck them out. There may be some great music I missed since all I know from them Is Itchycoo Park. Here is the website for the biography I found on them.

BTW. Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy.

http://www.windowsmedia.com/Mediaguide/Templates/Biography.aspx?p_id=P 5461

There three Immediate albums are all top notch, but especially Ogden's Nut Gone Flake. It's a great concept album.

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
Some interesting music on that list. My Favorites would be Thunderclap Newman, Harpers Bizarre, Chad and Jeremy and of course The Yardbirds. Another group to go along with The Yardbirds would be John Mayall. He had some pretty interesting bands and music.

Here are couple you may not have heard but might like to check out.

The Illusion. They were at one time promoted a lot but just never seemed to get off the ground. They sounded quite familier to many other bands of the time which is probably why they never took off.

Cuby & The Blizzards. Not many have heard of them but I think if you give em a try you just might like em.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online

No members online now.