Forgotten Bands of the Sixties

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Spike said:
IMHO, the Ramones version is a reverential and worthy remake, but lacks the anarchic energy of the original "Surfin' Bird." But, truth be told, my preferences lie with the ultimate originals that inspired the Trashmen -- "The Bird is the Word" and "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" by the Rivingtons -- but that takes us outside of the subgenre of surf music. :) "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow," in particular, is 2:25 of pure and unintended genius.

Spike
Not to dispute what you were getting at...I suppose I should have said up front what I meant. I have been a HUGE Ramones fan since the first time I saw them....in 1978. I saw them 12 times. I suppose it`s an acquired taste. It wasn`t about surf music for me....although I did enjoy a fair amount of that particular genre it wasn`t about surf music...it was about The Ramones.

Jack

Jack D.

Reaction score
I am sorry music wench for throwing in Don **. I just could not resist. You are from Hawaii, I am Utah. Hawaii has Don **, Utah has The Osmonds. We all have our cross to bare. Be well.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Sasquatch said:
Not to dispute what you were getting at...I suppose I should have said up front what I meant. I have been a HUGE Ramones fan since the first time I saw them....in 1978. I saw them 12 times. I suppose it`s an acquired taste. It wasn`t about surf music for me....although I did enjoy a fair amount of that particular genre it wasn`t about surf music...it was about The Ramones.

Jack

I don't think I was clear either. It's not about surf music for me either. The Trashmen's version of "Surfin' Bird" has nothing to do with surfing. The Trashmen were from Minnesota -- about as land-locked as you can be. And the song makes no reference to surfing whatsoever, except its title -- which was a trashy attempt to catch the wave of a current trend. The point I was trying to make is about out-of-control chaotic energy. And don't get me wrong, I've liked the Ramones since the 70s. But IMHO, the Ramones remake is tame compared to the Trashmen's over-the-top version.

Spike

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Jack D. said:
I am sorry music wench for throwing in Don **. I just could not resist. You are from Hawaii, I am Utah. Hawaii has Don **, Utah has The Osmonds. We all have our cross to bare. Be well.
Hey, Don ** is okay by me. And when I was 11 or 12 I loved the Osmonds so.... :D

Jack D.

Reaction score
Spencer Davis Group is a great choice. Keep un Running was a good song that I have not heard in many years. I just may have to check into them again. Thanks

MilesMingus

Reaction score
Two groups from the sixties I really love and are all but forgotten...The Insect Trust and The Incredible String Band...The Incredible String Band were a unique blend of British Folk and Psychedelia, as their name says, their talents with a various stringed instruments is truly Incredible, The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter is a great place to start exploring this band...The Insect Trust put out 2 great LP's in the late 60's, the self titled 1st LP and Hoboken Saturday Night, their sound was a mixture of Psych, Folk and many jazzy elements, they also had one of the best female singers of the era, Nancy Jefferies...Try and check out these great groups if you are looking for music that expaned the bountries of rock music in the 60's...

Attachments

• Hoboken Saturday Night.jpg
    Hoboken Saturday Night.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Hangman's Beautiful Daughter.jpg
    Hangman's Beautiful Daughter.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 65

Zombeels

Reaction score
I have both the Insect Trust albums. Have not heard the Incredible String Band. Heard their name but not their music.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
MilesMingus said:
The Incredible String Band were a unique blend of British Folk and Psychedelia, as their name says, their talents with a various stringed instruments is truly Incredible, The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter is a great place to start exploring this band...

The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter is one of my favorite albums of the 60s.

tISB-tHBD.jpg

Spike

MilesMingus

Reaction score
Although it's not concidered one of The Incredible String Bands better LP's, I really like Wee Tam...You Get Brighter is a great tune

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online