Electric Light Orchestra (Official Thread)

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Re: Electric Light Orchestra

After Out of the Blue, came "Discovery", and this marked the end of the line for me as far as ELO was concerned. When I compare this record to Eldorado or Face the Music, it just doesn't come close to the quality of the earlier albums. The "disco" influence is palpable especially on "Don't Bring Me Down", I played Discovery a half dozen times and then never touched it again. I think the excesses of the previous album were a big influence on this one, Jeff Lynne was no longer the creative genius so evident on his early work, and for me this was the nail in the coffin.

I belong to an ELO forum and you would be surprised how many of the younger members turned on to the band because of Discovery and later albums. In the polls, Zoom songs almost always win over the classic era. I got into ELO through Xanadu but I like everything. Ticket to The Moon from Time sends shivers through my body every time I hear it. Richards piano solo in From The Sun To The World is another one.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I belong to an ELO forum and you would be surprised how many of the younger members turned on to the band because of Discovery and later albums. In the polls, Zoom songs almost always win over the classic era. I got into ELO through Xanadu but I like everything. Ticket to The Moon from Time sends shivers through my body every time I hear it. Richards piano solo in From The Sun To The World is another one.

I have no doubt there are still some good songs on the later ELO albums Annie, but I enjoy the earlier work the best. Of course that shouldn't be surprising seeing I like "Eldorado" the most of the bands discography.;)

Last edited:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

When I need a good classic rock album with dripping with pop for parties I put on either Queen's Greatest Hits or ELO's greatest hits. That gets everyone at the party pumped. :grinthumb:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Surprised I haven't seen this yet.

One of the saddest songs ever.

One of my favorite ELO Rockers!!

F

FoxyPage

YES YES YES!

ELO are awesome, so very, very awesome.

Evil Woman kicks so much ass. I loved cruisin' on GTA 4 and shooting people while listening to that song.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

I do hit and runs listening to Riders On The Storm rather often.

But ELO, great music. Mr. Blue Sky is so happy and fun, I love it.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

"Roll Over Beethoven", "Strange Magic", "Do Ya", "Evil Woman", "Living Thing", "Telephone Line", "Mr. Blue Sky", "Hold On Tight", and even more are just huge, great songs.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

After the Discovery Album in 1979, ELO did a shared album with Olivia Newton-John with the Soundtrack Album to Xanadu in 1980. The Album itself did remarkibly well - particularly for Newton-John, though ELO had much success from it as well and it's been speculated that this was the only UK #1 Album for ELO.

Xanadualbumcover.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I remember the title song from this release, one of my junior high school buddies was a Big Olivia Newton John fan, me not so much. But it's not a bad album all things considered, I don't own it myself though.

Thanks CP/M.:tup:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online