Electric Light Orchestra (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Electric Light Orchestra

I agree Kino one of my old favorites for sure

Eldorado is my favorite ELO album, and after that comes "A New World Record". I picked this one up when it was released in 1976 for $2.97, although Livin' Thing was the first song we heard as a single the song I like the most is Do Ya, but the whole record was good, I wore my first one out, gave my 2nd copy to my little brother and now own the CD.:tup:

Telephone Line.

Electric_Light_Orchestra_-_A_New_Wo.jpg

Electric_Light_Orchestra_-_A_New-1.jpg

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

That's strange cause that backing cover for "A New World Record" with the tracks is missing Above The Clouds. Why has that song being dropped?

"Mission (A World Record)" is one of my favourite songs after "Livin' Thing" and "Telephone Line"! :D And the last song "Shangri-La" is pretty cool too! :tongue:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I like this band from what I hear so far! They definitely got that orchestrated sound that their name implies! LG, as you implied about liking good instrumentation in the Steely Dan thread I don't think it matters how great the instrumentation is if the music just doesn't match the listeners sensibilities! ELO seems to work on this level for me though it is admittedly too light and fluffy in parts! :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That's strange cause that backing cover for "A New World Record" with the tracks is missing Above The Clouds. Why has that song being dropped?

"Mission (A World Record)" is one of my favourite songs after "Livin' Thing" and "Telephone Line"! :D And the last song "Shangri-La" is pretty cool too! :tongue:

You are right CP/M, I thought it looked funny but I was in a hurry and just posted it and moved on. I'll scan my Own cover for the complete song list.

Glad to see you are giving some of the old dinosaurs a chance Bry. As for them being a little light and fluffy at times, well Jeff Lynne is a huge Beatles fan and draws a lot of inspiration from them, such as catchy little songs. However Eldorado is a great album, the best they ever did so give that Whole CD a listen before you just dismiss them as lightweight.:grinthumb

Here's my back cover CP/M.

Scan_1.jpg

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

After A New World Record, came a two record set "Out Of The Blue" released in 1977. I didn't buy this one immediately, I liked Sweet Talkin' Woman, but for some reason I hesitated and only picked it up a couple of months ago. While not as good as some of the earlier records, there were still enough good songs to carry the album and if nothing else the cover served as the template for one of the most elaborate stage set-ups of it's time.(I'll let Magic post that picture if she wants.;)) This was the beginning of the end of ELO as a force in music, they seemed to have lost some spark that made them so interesting, one of the problems when one man, in this case Jeff Lynne is so completely dominant in a band that there is no one to rein him in and the excesses go unchecked.

Still here's Turn To Stone.

electric_light_orchestra_out_of_the.jpg

electric_light_orchestra_out_of_-1.jpg

Last edited:

Oblivion

Reaction score

:) I like this thread... In the end I just know I'll end up downloading almost everything you mention... But until now, I'm still not 100% convinced they deserve a spot on my huge to do list..

rtbuck

Reaction score

I won 'New World Record' at a Church Carnival & have always been a fan since winning that album. Lord, I also hesitated buying 'Out of the Blue' & I'm glad I did because despite how many hits came off of it the record was soon in the bargain bins in my area so I picked it up for $2.99. the cardboard space ship that came with it was pretty cool!

rtbuck

Reaction score

Quite interesting how Electric Light Orchestra evolved and consisted of 3 guys which were involved in 60s pop group The Move. Jeff Lynne arrived late in The Moves lifecycle mid-1969 I have here in my book which was pretty much after the Move had their fair share of hits under Carl Wayne and Trevor Burton. Roy Wood and Bev Bevan though were part of the Move's original lineup. Musically both groups are quite different though and perhaps ELO brought other groups like 10cc onto the scene?

I had picked up a "Best of" Roy Wood years ago after hearing a song called "Ballpark Incident"(which was by Wood's band Wizzard). Anyway I just had it on listening & this song by the Move comes on called "Brontosaurus" & the riff going through the song sounded so familiar to me. A couple songs later another song by the Move came on & then it dawned on me where I heard that Riff in Brontosaurus from.The song that was now playing had a similar riff only speeded up.The song was "California Man" & I had thought that was a Cheap Trick original.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I won 'New World Record' at a Church Carnival & have always been a fan since winning that album. Lord, I also hesitated buying 'Out of the Blue' & I'm glad I did because despite how many hits came off of it the record was soon in the bargain bins in my area so I picked it up for $2.99. the cardboard space ship that came with it was pretty cool!

That was one of the reasons I hesitated Bucky, I didn't have a lot of money back then and $12.99 for a double vinyl album was more than I wanted to spend, and by the time it went on sale I had forgotten about it or wanted other albums more. Still some good songs on it, and probably their best album cover as well.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

After Out of the Blue, came "Discovery", and this marked the end of the line for me as far as ELO was concerned. When I compare this record to Eldorado or Face the Music, it just doesn't come close to the quality of the earlier albums. The "disco" influence is palpable especially on "Don't Bring Me Down", I played Discovery a half dozen times and then never touched it again. I think the excesses of the previous album were a big influence on this one, Jeff Lynne was no longer the creative genius so evident on his early work, and for me this was the nail in the coffin.

Last Train To London.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online