Duran Duran (Official Thread)

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Re: Duran Duran

I always saw their 1993 "Wedding" album as being far better than anything they did during the 1980's. To me, the stuff they did earlier in their career just doesn't compare to Ordinary World, Come Undone, etc.

Fast Eddie

Reaction score

yes...the memory of duran duran videos brings back great memories from my childhood...my babysitter's teenage daughter was a fanatic and her bedroom was covered from wall to ceiling with duran duran posters...you couldnt even see the paint on her walls...

during that time period they had the greatest music videos i ever saw:bow:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

My older brother brought home the first Duran Duran .He was in Europe in The Air Force..and it was all the rage

The New Romantics /Second British Invasion was so fun in the 80's.

I was TOTALLY a Duran Duran fan !

At one time I had my DURAN DURAN poster right next to my Black Sabbath poster ,which pissed off my brother..he said that was wrong ? lol

I guess he wasn't understanding a teenage girls version of music ;) lol

Attachments

• duranduran.jpg
    duranduran.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 32
  • duran duran.jpg
    duran duran.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 33
  • black_sabbath_black_and_white.jpg
    black_sabbath_black_and_white.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

:heheh:Nothing wrong with having a Duran Duran poster next to Black Sabbath.
There was lots of exciting music in the 80s and the futurist/new romantic era had some fine bands Depeche Mode,Spandau Ballet,Human League,Japan etc
DURAN DURAN had the image and sound with synthesisers being used.I was lucky to have seen them live in Sheffield in their early years[ 1981] They had just released their debut single "planet earth".and there was a real buzz about this band being the next big thing.
The audience was like "a fashion show".It was a fine performance and before you knew it the band had become superstars.
i personally love the first 2 Duran Duran albums and gradually lost interest after that....sorry

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

:heheh:Nothing wrong with having a Duran Duran poster next to Black Sabbath.
There was lots of exciting music in the 80s and the futurist/new romantic era had some fine bands Depeche Mode,Spandau Ballet,Human League,Japan etc
DURAN DURAN had the image and sound with synthesisers being used.I was lucky to have seen them live in Sheffield in their early years[ 1981] They had just released their debut single "planet earth".and there was a real buzz about this band being the next big thing.
The audience was like "a fashion show".It was a fine performance and before you knew it the band had become superstars.
i personally love the first 2 Duran Duran albums and gradually lost interest after that....sorry

Thanks Lou :flirt
It made perfect sense to me lol...

Yeah I really prefer the first to albums..my brother brought Planet Earth home about 1981-82 I think ? And it was like the space age music appeal of it I think

alot of drama and it wasn't like anything I'd heard before..there were some very cool things happening in the second british invasion...I was loving it all!:grinthumb

ANF

Reaction score

Have any other Duran fans on here heard their most recent album, "All You Need Is Now"? I am someone who generally dislikes their post-1988 material (when it came to their 1993 comeback album, I much preferred "Too Much Information" to the two bigger singles) but this album was a total home run for them. Mark Ronson is a lifelong DD fan and found a way to return them back to their original early 1980's sound while also retaining some freshness. "Girl Panic" could've been on Rio, "Runway Runaway" actually does somewhat echo "Lonely In Your Nightmare", the title track is very "Seven And The Ragged Tiger" esque.

It is an excellent return to form for them. They don't do anything new, but it is a nice revisit to the sound that made them music icons in the 1980's, especially refreshing after the abortive album they did with Justin Timberlake a couple years back.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Loved their 80's music, and some of the 90's stuff too & the first reunion album Astronaut.

The "side" project Arcadia was great too. Simon, Nick & Roger. Sting does a guest vocal on The Promise and David Gilmour does some guitars.

Durandy

Reaction score
What a great thread to find in a Classic Rock forum! I love all the Duran-love I'm seeing, and I hope you don't mind me chiming in... as a Duran archivist and author of the new book limited-edition art book, Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran, I have a particular affinity for the band. However, it's always awesome to see props for DD coming from those who wouldn't ordinarily be considered big fans.

Andrew

durandy.com

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online