LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Dream Theater

I'm glad to hear it, I like your new Avvy and Signature.:cheers:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Dream Theater is almost like Radiohead Tracey, they get an instant reaction one way or the other,,,

I dunno....I've not really noticed that. I mean the thing I hear the most is that "they're just showing off" with some of their songs, but I don't see Dream Theater polarize or gather the intense reactions (by which I mostly mean hatred) that Radiohead does by far.

I have All of their albums, but Cosmic is our resident DT expert.

Yes well.....I seem to have earned that title for a number of bands. :heheh:

Personally I only rank "Octavarium" as a mid album in Dream Theater's catalog, but I see that it's quite popular among a number of fans and that's ok too.

If I had to rank their studio work though it'd look something like this:

1. Scenes From A Memory
(Absolutely flawless. One of my favorite albums of all time)
2. Images and Words (of course this album had their only hit but there are many other great tracks)
3. Black Clouds & Silver Linings (EASILY the best Dream Theater album in the last decade)
4. Octavarium
5. A Change of Seasons (if only for the title track, though the covers are all very well done too)

6. Awake
7. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
8. Train of Thought
9. Falling into Infinity
10. When Dream and Day Unite

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^DT is a band some so called "Purists" just love to bash for some reason Cosmic, a site I used to post on it was instantaneous whenever a new member posted about DT the "Bike Gang" would wheel into action and trash them for many reasons. Only Radiohead got a similar treatment, with Muse a distant third, then again they were a mean spirited bunch too. The biggest complaint I've heard is that they are too extravagant and their songs are too long, having grown up with Thick As A Brick and numerous other progressive albums that doesn't bother me at all, but some take issue with it.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

If they don't want long songs then they should go listen to listen to punk rock and stay out of our proverbial deep end (aka: progressive rock) of the music genre pool. :tongue:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Awful news Dream Theater fans:

Mike Portnoy, Dream Theater's lifelong drummer has decided to leave the band. :wa...Dream Theater's Comment on Mike Portnoy's Departure

"To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with profound sadness -- regret -- we announce that Mike Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has decided to leave Dream Theater. Mike's stature in the band has meant the world to all of us professionally, musically, and personally over the years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major force within this band.

While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other ventures and challenges, we can assure you that Dream Theater will continue to move forward with the same intensity -- and in the same musical tradition -- that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

Fans and friends: File this episode under "Black Clouds and Silver Linings."As planned, we begin recording our newest album in January 2011, and we'll follow that with a full-on world tour. "The Spirit Carries On."

All of us in Dream Theater wholeheartedly wish Mike the best on his musical journey. We have had a long and meaningful career together. It is our true hope that he finds all he is looking for, and that he achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be missed.
"​

I am soooooooo bummed out by this. :(

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I just read that myself, but after 20+ years it is no surprise to me. I had a feeling Transatlantic and his other side projects would leave him hungering for more challenges outside of DT. I read he is asking his fans to Not blame Avenged Sevenfold for this, he doesn't have to worry about me I don't like AX-7 at all.

But I wish him well, he has handled this whole matter with class and everyone understands when you lose your passion for something to continue doesn't make sense, I would feel the same and out of respect for his band mates he has left them plenty of time to get a replacement for the new album and world wide tour next year.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Well from what I understand he asked if the band could take it's first real hiatus, which I could understand since he's been recording with half a dozen other groups over the last decade, but they decided against it since they wanted to get started on the next album next year rather than take a break.

I don't blame Mike or the other members of Dream Theater for him leaving but I really don't know how they're going to be able to recover from his departure. Aside from being one of the hands down most talented and irreplaceable drummers on the planet he also handled backing vocals, wrote a substantial chunk of the lyrics (especially after Kevin Moon left 10 years ago), produced their albums alongside John Petrucci, and handled a heavy share of the behind the scenes work. I mean, he really is probably was the hardest working member of the band.

joe

Reaction score

I heard a few months ago that Mike Portnoy was talking with Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree and Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth on collaborating on a project together. I'm not sure were that is headed now. I'd love to see it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online