Dream Theater (Official Thread)

Oblivion

Reaction score
Re: Dream Theater

m_Theater_-_Metropolis_Pt._2-_Scenes_from_a_Memory.jpg

when I first heard this concept album I was pretty mad about the money it cost me... it was my first DT album and I bought it because it was on sale... but after a while it grew on me :) and now I just love it... Anyone else that hate-loves this album??

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That's my Favorite album of Dream Theater's catalog. I enjoy the entire Concept format, when done properly it becomes more like a Sonic Art Form than just a CD.:D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

^^I have everything they ever recorded, even all of their Live stuff.

Just letting you know Sal we already have a thread for this band in the Progressive section...so it might get merged.;)

Me too...I see you like Scenes From A Memory...I really like Six Degrees!! I still get choked up during Solitary Shell.

I agree with Magic too that the new CD is fab!! Wither is a great song and the rest of it just flat out rocks!!!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Yeah and Who Else but DT would release a 3 CD set.:bow:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I still don't get why so many people dig DT. I mean, to each his own, but I could never get into their music. Pull Me Under is my most hated part of Guitar Hero.

I dont use Guitar hero as a means to judge music, Foxy. Who knows why that particular song was a part of the game, but to give any artist a fair shake, I always listen to at least one full album in its entirety before I send it to the "circle 13" (the trash) :D

I appreciate what Guitar Hero is doing by exposing a vast variety of music to young people, but that doesn't mean the song choices are the best offered by that particular artist. And I might add the musical quility of Guitar Hero is just terrible. It is intended to be a game, not a place to hear music.

Dream Theater is one of those bands that is very complex in music composition, you sometimes have to listen several times to pick up all the sounds and moods the music is creating. To put this analogy to something that would seem more logical to you, let me use some death metal as an example: I am not fond of growling/squealing vocals, but I can look beyond what is negative in the music and listen for positives, like the guitarists, the keyboardists, etc. I have found alot of death/doom metal that has fantastic music orchestration, but the vocals can sometimes overshadow or ruin things for me.

I hope you see where I am coming from :)

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

If I'm not wrong a guy called Petrucci came outta that band right??!:):):):)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Absolutely right, and as far as I know he is still kicking major butt in DT.:guitar:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I appreciate what Guitar Hero is doing by exposing a vast variety of music to young people, but that doesn't mean the song choices are the best offered by that particular artist. And I might add the musical quility of Guitar Hero is just terrible. It is intended to be a game, not a place to hear music.

:clap: :bow:

Neverlife

Reaction score

Dream Theater is one of those bands, that I can only listen to by myself. They have a very deep, and personal feel to them, that I like to listen to, normally in my dark room, late at night, while I smoke a couple of doobies.

Honestly, I don't ever listen to any of their albums, except for once in a great while. I have all of their live DvD's though, and I normally watch them, because its such a more powerful performance in my opinion. The extended solo's, and breaks, are just so amazing to watch, that when I listen to the albums it doesn't give me the same satisfaction. Although some music they don't play live, which is a problem. But I love them, and Petrucci is a hero of mine, along with just about everyone else in the band.

---------------
And Magic, I have to say that Guitar Hero changed my life. If it wasn't for Guitar Hero III, and Through The Fire and the Flames, I would have never been exposed to Metal, and probably would have continued listening to crap and never getting into music as much as I have.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

And Magic, I have to say that Guitar Hero changed my life. If it wasn't for Guitar Hero III, and Through The Fire and the Flames, I would have never been exposed to Metal, and probably would have continued listening to crap and never getting into music as much as I have.

Exactly what the game makers and music industry is hoping will happen, you like what you hear, then you will buy what you hear. But the quality of sound on the game is limited, and so are song selections.

Like you said, you discovered metal from the game....it exposed you and you persued the venture :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online