Dream Theater (Official Thread)

KingHeadache

Banned
Reaction score
I don´t expect Dream Theater to stray away from progressive side of things. I just think that they´re starting to repeat themselves.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
So the new DVD/Blu ray comes out this Tuesday!!

Here's a couple clips

On The Backs Of Angels

Pull Me Under

dreamtheaterlunaparkcover.jpg

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don´t expect Dream Theater to stray away from progressive side of things. I just think that they´re starting to repeat themselves.

Couldn't disagree more. Think they sound better on their new album than even some of the Portnoy days to me. People can bitch all they want about Portnoy's absence but they need to get over it, he likely won't ever return to the band. Mangini has done a great job on the new album.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, the band has proven that Portnoy's influence is largely overrated. Yes, he wrote some great stuff, but the band has recorded some of their best material in years without him, while Portnoy himself has gone on to do absolutely nothing I find interesting - I have to underline the fact that this is strictly my personal opinion. If anyone feels differently, so be it.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I think they are doing just fine without him but I still wish he'd come back

:uh:

I am getting this new Blu ray though :heheh: :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, the band has proven that Portnoy's influence is largely overrated. Yes, he wrote some great stuff, but the band has recorded some of their best material in years without him, while Portnoy himself has gone on to do absolutely nothing I find interesting - I have to underline the fact that this is strictly my personal opinion. If anyone feels differently, so be it.

I agree about Portnoy and his influence being overrated. It is to extreme proportions.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I got it on Blu Ray and so far it's AWESOME!! Only got the first hour and a half in though....the whole thing is like 2 hours and 40 minutes and that's NOT including bonus features and extra songs :grinthumb

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Live at Luna Park is amazing. It's going to be in my player for some time. Portnoy should have curtailed some of his excesses, like his spoken vocals, and remained with DT; after all, they are his band. Having said this, Mangini works well with them. I've also enjoyed Portnoy's post-DT projects (as I have his side projects), with the exception of Adrenaline Mob, but would like to see him playing again in a progressive rock band.

I agree with KingHeadache, DT seem to need a live audience to bring out the best in their material.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
For my money Portnoy leaving his band has been a 'win/win', one instance where the old band has been rejuvenated and Portnoy has enjoyed success with all his other projects.

I like what he's done outside of DT, and I feel that is the main reason he left along with wanting an extended time out for a while.(Like Tool does regularly) I'm sure he still likes his old friends in the band, but after stepping out and doing other things with new people it inspired him and made going back to the 'same old' impossible.

I have the new studio album, and I like it.:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online