Dream Theater (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
For my money Portnoy leaving his band has been a 'win/win', one instance where the old band has been rejuvenated and Portnoy has enjoyed success with all his other projects.

I like what he's done outside of DT, and I feel that is the main reason he left along with wanting an extended time out for a while.(Like Tool does regularly) I'm sure he still likes his old friends in the band, but after stepping out and doing other things with new people it inspired him and made going back to the 'same old' impossible.

I have the new studio album, and I like it.:grinthumb

The CD is really good...hey if you do end up getting the new live DVD....go Blu ray on this one :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For my money Portnoy leaving his band has been a 'win/win', one instance where the old band has been rejuvenated and Portnoy has enjoyed success with all his other projects.

I like what he's done outside of DT, and I feel that is the main reason he left along with wanting an extended time out for a while.(Like Tool does regularly) I'm sure he still likes his old friends in the band, but after stepping out and doing other things with new people it inspired him and made going back to the 'same old' impossible.

I have the new studio album, and I like it.:grinthumb

That's how I look at it too. Glad he seems to be enjoying doing other projects and moved on from DT.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Up til now, I have bought every Dream Theater release on the release date. Studio album, DVD, you name it. But I still haven't picked up "Live At Luna Park. After XX live albums, I have decided to have a bit of patience and wait until I can get it at mid price.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Up til now, I have bought every Dream Theater release on the release date. Studio album, DVD, you name it. But I still haven't picked up "Live At Luna Park. After XX live albums, I have decided to have a bit of patience and wait until I can get it at mid price.

I'm in total agreement with you SDM, these days bands release so many 'live recordings' in between studio albums it's almost too much of a good thing. The one issue the digital 70 minute-CD has done is increase the time between albums to over 2 years, I liked the old days much better one album/year, 40+ minutes of new material to look forward to from your favorite bands and when they did release a live album it was an event, not just '**-hum another live record'.:zzz:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Transatlantic have a new album, Kaleidoscope, due for release on 27th Jan 2014.

kaleidoscope.jpg

Tracklist:
1. Into the Blue
2. Shine
3. Black as the Sky
4. Beyond the Sun
5. Kaleidoscope

Lineup
Neal Morse
Mike Portnoy
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas
with Daniel Gildenlow as touring member

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Urban Dictionary Link

mangini

To respond to a piece of good news with animated, speechless, exuberant excitement. Named after musician Mike Mangini, who was rather pleased to be selected as Dream Theater's new drummer.

When Edna found out she was going to be a mother, she manginied so hard and for so long that she almost gave herself a hernia.

:heheh:

mike-mangini-gets-news-460-100.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online