Do You Still Buy Cds / Vinyl?

metalife

Reaction score
^There was a situation when well known actor Bruce Willis sued Apple [?] for not being able to pass on the music he downloaded to his daughters. Don't know what came of it however...

I remember hearing about that too. I don't think anything came of it though. :wa

What I would like to see play out is for one of the biggest to go out of business lock stock and barrel.

just cease operations.

Then when no one has access to their music and has to rebuy it from another source, lets see if they wake up, or at least how it's dealt with.

I know its bad to feel that way but I really think it would be good for folks to learn what can happen. You would think everyone would understand that the "Cloud" is not some technological dream machine but just data stored on company computers which makes it much more convenient for the business profiting from it.

Jim

I'd love to see Apple go out of business but I doubt it'll ever happen. It's like they're on a mission to control everything and take any form of ownership away from the consumer.

It's like what Lars says in this video...

... if Metallica aren't making the money from their music, then Napster will be.

If the 'evil' record companies aren't making money from album sales - money which is often re-invested into new artist and new album releases - then Apple will receive all the money and put very little, if any, back into the industry. -- No wonder mainstream music is in the state it's in. :uh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
See I disagree with this notion of wanting Apple to go out of business. I really fail to see why its necessary for that to happen. People who buy only digital are well within their rights to do so.

metalife

Reaction score
See I disagree with this notion of wanting Apple to go out of business. I really fail to see why its necessary for that to happen. People who buy only digital are well within their rights to do so.

I guess I just see downloading music, either legally or illegally, as having done so much irreparable damage to music and Apple is the biggest company I can lash out at. :uh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't believe downloading has damaged music like people have made out.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I think downloading has done damage as it encourages people to cherry pick for songs rather than giving time for an album to grow or even respecting music in album form in general.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Albums won't always grow. lol I don't have an issue with people picking songs out if the rest of the album was particularly bad and no matter how many listens the rest just won't click. But the album would have to be Chinese Democracy or St Anger type shit for me to have to pick out any redeeemable songs as opposed to just getting the album.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'd love to see Apple go out of business but I doubt it'll ever happen. It's like they're on a mission to control everything and take any form of ownership away from the consumer.

... if Metallica aren't making the money from their music, then Napster will be.

If the 'evil' record companies aren't making money from album sales - money which is often re-invested into new artist and new album releases - then Apple will receive all the money and put very little, if any, back into the industry. -- No wonder mainstream music is in the state it's in. :uh:

Apple had an opportunity to become a critical part of the music world and do the right things, sadly they are concerned about one thing only, their bank account.

I hate Apple and what they stand for, and realize I'm in the minority but don't care they are a bunch of shysters just like their founder Steven Jobs. I know it's not proper etiquette to speak ill of the dead but he was the consummate arrogant SOB in the business world, you would be hard pressed to find any of his business associates who helped build Apple to the megacorp it's it now who had a nice thing to say about him.

And his company reflects that. I would like to see i-tunes disappear forever.

metalife

Reaction score
I don't believe downloading has damaged music like people have made out.

Record companies don't get money from sales, therefore they're not going to invest in any new talent. Noone wanted to sign the Beatles back in the day, or Guns N Roses, Metallica, Nirvana, et la. Those companies that did took a chance and they could cause they had their guaranteed 'money in the bank' artist.

You just have to look at the music charts to see the 'safe' crap the studios are marketing at pre-teens that will get a quick sale. No company is going to take a chance any more. There's certainly no shortage of bands out their, but why don't they get the exposure they deserve? If top 40 was actually done on talent it would be filled with metal, jazz, and classical - these musicians deserve to get money from their talent.

In the past decade we've lost some great musicians. Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, John Lee Hooker to name a few. Who's going to (I hate to use the word, but I'm sure you know what I mean) 'replace' them?

I think downloading has done damage as it encourages people to cherry pick for songs rather than giving time for an album to grow or even respecting music in album form in general.

Agree. A lot of albums were unsuccessful on their initial release but have in time become classics.

Albums won't always grow. lol I don't have an issue with people picking songs out if the rest of the album was particularly bad and no matter how many listens the rest just won't click. But the album would have to be Chinese Democracy or St Anger type shit for me to have to pick out any redeeemable songs as opposed to just getting the album.

:gig - I guess I'm the 'one' who likes Chinese Democracy. I liked it when I first listened to it after buying the CD, and still get it out every now and then and discover something new about it. It's a good album, not great. But good.

I like St Anger too. I guess it's cool these days to talk crap about Metallica. The trouble with St Anger is if you're not going to do guitar solos you need shorter songs. There are some good tunes on that disc.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online