Do You Still Buy Cds / Vinyl?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I gave up on I-tunes and digital when two things happened. First I bought a computer with wider storage as the music I own takes up more than a 160GB Ipod. When I tried transferring the files from one computer to the next all the files transferred were corrupted. I-tunes wouldn't restore the actual files I bought from them. Everything in the world of computers is glitchy. I still have an unwrapped 160GB Ipod and have no desire for it. Once I gave up digital I discovered how much more gratifying physical albums are. They don't dissapear unless you are careless. It's more in your control. Plus, like I said before it avoids cherry picking. I like full albums period. There are no songs bad enough to pick an album apart if the artist is good. I'm not ADHD about music anyway and can listen to a song an number of times before deciding I hate it and besides almost no 2-3 minutes of sound is so torturous that it ruins an otherwise good album. The sound is just how I want it. Better than most digital and I don't have to go all audiophile to find a better sound digitally. It is how I buy it and that's that. The ONLY benefit to downloading is digital only albums and if the artist is going to be a dick about not releasing a physical album then I'll stream or youtube for free instead. The paid digital world is only slightly better than the "Why pay for it when I can get it for free, pretend I'm doing it to stick it to the man when I'm really just selfish, entitled and cheap" group. Both are destroying music at various levels. Music is an art AND business. It needs money to thrive period.

Magnus59

Reaction score
I always buy physical albums, don't have an itunes account. The only digital downloads I have other than backing tracks that my wife uses for performing are tracks from CDBaby by one particular performer. They supply the tracks in Flac & higher quality mp3 too and allow you to download as many times as you like once you have purchased the track.

The tactile quality of a vinyl album was lost to some extent with CDs and is completely missing with digital downloads. For those of us who grew up with records, casettes, 8 tracks and cds, there is much more to the music we consume than the stream of data that contains the sound.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only time digital matters to me is the convenience of music listening when not at the PC which has very good speakers. I get good sound out of them with the CD's I have. I too am generally an album person, only rarely would I pick songs out of albums and only if the album was that shit which some albums are to me.

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
I still buy both vinyl and CDs all the time. In fact, I've purchased some of both within the last week in honest to goodness record shops.

metalife

Reaction score
Doesn't seem fair. If I paid for the song, I should have ownership.

I really isn't fair. That's one of the reasons I hate Apple and downloading music in general. People are pumping millions of dollars into this and they have no ownership on anything they've purchased.

The music itself is owned by the copyright holder, whether it's the person who recorded it, wrote it, or purchased the rights to it. A person can own a physical copy of music but not the music itself.

Interesting article if anyone wants to read it.
Who owns your downloaded music after you die? - CNET

mrJim

Reaction score
^^ check your terms and conditions. The first time you come across the work "Content" basically it's a tip off that you probably any has the right to access or listen to the music. you don't own the file cause and content is protected heavily with legal jargon.

That said there are places to buy the digital files. I have purchased digital files directly from record companies and artists etc. When I looked at the terms they look the same as those for an album.

but even with an album you just can't do whatever you want with it album or not. Making a copy of an album and selling it would be theft.

Jim

metalife

Reaction score
I gave up on I-tunes and digital when two things happened. First I bought a computer with wider storage as the music I own takes up more than a 160GB Ipod. When I tried transferring the files from one computer to the next all the files transferred were corrupted. I-tunes wouldn't restore the actual files I bought from them. Everything in the world of computers is glitchy. I still have an unwrapped 160GB Ipod and have no desire for it. Once I gave up digital I discovered how much more gratifying physical albums are. They don't dissapear unless you are careless. It's more in your control. Plus, like I said before it avoids cherry picking. I like full albums period. There are no songs bad enough to pick an album apart if the artist is good. I'm not ADHD about music anyway and can listen to a song an number of times before deciding I hate it and besides almost no 2-3 minutes of sound is so torturous that it ruins an otherwise good album. The sound is just how I want it. Better than most digital and I don't have to go all audiophile to find a better sound digitally. It is how I buy it and that's that. The ONLY benefit to downloading is digital only albums and if the artist is going to be a dick about not releasing a physical album then I'll stream or youtube for free instead. The paid digital world is only slightly better than the "Why pay for it when I can get it for free, pretend I'm doing it to stick it to the man when I'm really just selfish, entitled and cheap" group. Both are destroying music at various levels. Music is an art AND business. It needs money to thrive period.

I'd hate to trust all my music onto a hard drive that could be corrupted, etc. I'm a full album person too. It's a snapshot of where a band is at creatively. And some songs have grown on me over time as I grow and age. There are a lot of lot album gems out there to be discovered.

^^ check your terms and conditions. The first time you come across the work "Content" basically it's a tip off that you probably any has the right to access or listen to the music. you don't own the file cause and content is protected heavily with legal jargon.

That said there are places to buy the digital files. I have purchased digital files directly from record companies and artists etc. When I looked at the terms they look the same as those for an album.

but even with an album you just can't do whatever you want with it album or not. Making a copy of an album and selling it would be theft.

Jim

Very true. It's always been the case. You can own the physical copy - the disc, vinyl, cassette, etc, but not the music contained within.

metalife

Reaction score
Since this thread has touched a bit on copyright law, etc, I thought I'd share this link to a documentary I had to watch in class last year in my diploma of music - tuition course.

This doco made me feel sick and I almost walked out of class. I can't understand how this guy can be said to have even an ounce of talent when all he does is steal other people's music, mash it up and turn it to crap.

There's some interesting talk about copyright law contained within though.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online