Do You Still Buy Cds / Vinyl?

metalife

Reaction score
I apologize if a thread like this already exists on the site. I'm still new here.

Just wondering if people are still buying physical copies of albums. For me, I always will. I have never, and never will, download music. I'll always pay for my music, simply because it cost money to produce, record and market an album. Its blindingly obvious that the industry has taken a dive in the past ten years. I blame this on the loss of the studios. In times past, the studios had there guaranteed money in the band artist, so they could afford to take a chance on some new blood. Now, without the album sales, no studio is willing to do that. Like any business, if there's no money going in, there wont be money going out.

I could go on and on on this subject but I'm interested in getting other peoples opinions.

Cheers.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will buy the odd digital album if I can't be bothered to wait for the physical form to come by mail or if its not available in physical format. I frequently buy CDs . I do think physical format is almost always the superior option when it comes to sound quality.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I buy CDs every now and then, like recently I bought Tori Amos' new album. A couple of months before that i got used CDs of Peter Gabriel and Suede from a book store. Earlier this year, I bought Metallica's classic Justice album again because I had lost the CD a long time ago and only had some crappy mp3s in its place.

So yeah, though the frequency of buying CDs has gone down (due to a combination of being more careful with money these days and trying to reduce clutter), I still buy 'em! And if I had infinite storage space and money in the bank account :D , I would any day prefer CDs/physical media over computer files!

As for vinyl, I never fully got into it except for an impulsive purchase of a nice usb turntable and some 4 or 5 classic records sometime in 2008. But all of it is gathering dust and doing nothing at my parents place right now. :uh:

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
It's there...it's not

Absolutely. I don't think I'll ever get into that downloading thing as far as music is concerned. The sound quality is superior plus there is the added bonus of looking at booklets and some manner of artwork especially with the vinyl medium. Movies? Well, when I purchase a blu-ray usually it comes with a downloadable offer which I have taken advantage of. I have an external hard drive that houses them. Physical media will never completely go away but future generations will likely view them as oddities given that portability and convenience is beginning to be a rule of thumb more.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
No, I don't buy CD anymore. But I get at least a vinyl copy every week. Mostly it's a lot more than that.

The Wanderer

Kids With Guns
Reaction score
Vinyl and CDs, I only download songs for my phone so that when I am at school and I have some free time I just listen to music. Also for that long bus ride home.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Buy the occasional cd, especially the classic artists like Uriah Heep, Heart, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dream Theater, Tori Amos, Dave Matthews, etc... Vinyl is my passion and I usually buy at least ten albums a month.
Like you metalife, I agree in giving the artist his due, so I am 100% against downloading of music.
Good thread:)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I have bought c.d.s steadily since about the mid 90's and haven't stopped. If anything I buy even more now with lower prices. I buy them or order them by the handful a couple times a month. I also agree with the reasoning from the OP among other reasons on top of that for buying albums in physical format. :grinthumb

CREAM'd

Reaction score
I still buy CD's. I can't really see me stopping buying them. I download an album, listen to it a few times and if I like it I'll buy it on CD. Vinyl is for floors :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online