Country Rock

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Not my favourite kind of music, but I do own an album by SAILCAT. Check out the track" walking together backwards " the guitar work is outstanding

bobbyg29

Professor of Rock n Roll
Reaction score
My 2 cents on the genre...

"Country rock" (literally a fusion of rock and country music) was invented by Gram Parsons who is by far the most significant figure in the genre. The first true country rock album was "Safe at Home" by the International Submarine Band (headed by Parsons) in 1968 which combined basic guitar rock with the pedal steel guitar. Parsons was obviously heavily influenced by Bob Dylan who tinkered with some of the same ideas on "John Wesley Harding" and "Nashville Skyline". He then went on to play with The Byrds and bring that influence to them--recording the single greatest country rock album IMO: "Sweetheart of the Rodeo". Parsons then went on to form the Flying Burrito Brothers with Chris Hillman from the Byrds, the first great true country rock band. After leaving the FBB, Parsons went solo and his primary partner was Emmylou Harris, who learned the craft from him and carried it on after his death (a very bizzare one indeed if you want to read that story). So you can see Parsons fingerprints are everywhere on "country rock", a genre title which incidentally he hated. He preferred to call his music "Cosmic American Music".

Gram Parsons is one of the important figures in music history that most people have never heard of.

Along with some of the other bands that have been mentioned, The New Riders of the Purple Sage (a spinoff from The Grateful Dead) was one of the first great country rock artists too.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
In the eighties I saw a band called Jason and the Scorchers they were really energetic and classed as a kind of heavy country/rock or cow punk whatever they were good.

Great underrated band - I saw the lead-guitarist live in January :D

I'm a big country fan and a big country rock fan. Just as when it comes to blues it doesn't matter if it's amped up or not to me, I like it either way.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
You can trace the origins of country rock to Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash , Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers and many others.

Also, The Beatles too, if you think about it.

''I’ll Cry Instead'' (1964), Baby’s In Black (1964/65), What Goes On.(1966), all Lennon/McCartney songs, are considered some of the first country rock songs, by many.

The Beatles also covered country songs, like ''Honey Don’t'' (Carl Perkins), ''Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby'' (Rex Griffin) and ''Act Naturally'' (Buck Owens) in the early days, and rocked them up a bit.

I think The Buffalo Springfield and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band were one of the first rock bands to mix country and rock.

Bob Dylan's in there too, mixing folk, country and rock.

Also, believe it or not Mike Nesmith of the Monkees was incorporating country elements into Monkee songs. Not on many of the hits, but some country rock flavor can be found on some album tracks.

The Byrds always had traces of country in their music, even before Gram Parsons joined in '68

I agree what bobbyg about what he posted about Gram Parsons, The International Submarine Band and The Bryds being on the forefront of the country rock movement of the late 60's. Well said, by him.

Who's your favorite contry-rock bands/artists?
Here's a bunch of 60's & 70's country rockers, I listen to...

Goose Creek Symphony
Barefoot Jerry
Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Gram Parsons
Marshall Tucker Band
Charlie Daniels Band
Flying Burritos Brothers
Pure Prairie League
Dickey Betts and Great Southern
Jackson Browne
Little Feat
Poco (Early Poco is great)
Mason Proffit
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Outlaws
New Riders of the Purple Sage
The Youngbloods
The Byrds
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks
Michael Nesmith
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils
The Eagles
Linda Ronstadt
The Band
Levon Helm
Brinsley Schwarz
Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show
The International Submarine Band
Neil Young
Allman Brothers Band
Buffalo Springfield
Bob Dylan
Townes Van Zandt
Emmylou Harris

Not all listed here are pure country rockers, but most are, and close enough.

bobbyg29

Professor of Rock n Roll
Reaction score
You can trace the origins of country rock to Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash , Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers and many others.

Also, The Beatles too, if you think about it.

''I’ll Cry Instead'' (1964), Baby’s In Black (1964/65), What Goes On.(1966), all Lennon/McCartney songs, are considered some of the first country rock songs, by many.

The Beatles also covered country songs, like ''Honey Don’t'' (Carl Perkins), ''Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby'' (Rex Griffin) and ''Act Naturally'' (Buck Owens) in the early days, and rocked them up a bit.

I think The Buffalo Springfield and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band were one of the first rock bands to mix country and rock.

Bob Dylan's in there too, mixing folk, country and rock.

Also, believe it or not Mike Nesmith of the Monkees was incorporating country elements into Monkee songs. Not on many of the hits, but some country rock flavor can be found on some album tracks.

The Byrds always had traces of country in their music, even before Gram Parsons joined in '68

I agree what bobbyg about what he posted about Gram Parsons, The International Submarine Band and The Bryds being on the forefront of the country rock movement of the late 60's. Well said, by him.

Here's a bunch of 60's & 70's country rockers, I listen to...

Goose Creek Symphony
Barefoot Jerry
Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Gram Parsons
Marshall Tucker Band
Charlie Daniels Band
Flying Burritos Brothers
Pure Prairie League
Dickey Betts and Great Southern
Jackson Browne
Little Feat
Poco (Early Poco is great)
Mason Proffit
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Outlaws
New Riders of the Purple Sage
The Youngbloods
The Byrds
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks
Michael Nesmith
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils
The Eagles
Linda Ronstadt
The Band
Levon Helm
Brinsley Schwarz
Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show
The International Submarine Band
Neil Young
Allman Brothers Band
Buffalo Springfield
Bob Dylan
Townes Van Zandt
Emmylou Harris

Not all listed here are pure country rockers, but most are, and close enough.

great list:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
My 2 cents on the genre...

"Country rock" (literally a fusion of rock and country music) was invented by Gram Parsons who is by far the most significant figure in the genre. The first true country rock album was "Safe at Home" by the International Submarine Band (headed by Parsons) in 1968 which combined basic guitar rock with the pedal steel guitar. Parsons was obviously heavily influenced by Bob Dylan who tinkered with some of the same ideas on "John Wesley Harding" and "Nashville Skyline". He then went on to play with The Byrds and bring that influence to them--recording the single greatest country rock album IMO: "Sweetheart of the Rodeo". Parsons then went on to form the Flying Burrito Brothers with Chris Hillman from the Byrds, the first great true country rock band. After leaving the FBB, Parsons went solo and his primary partner was Emmylou Harris, who learned the craft from him and carried it on after his death (a very bizzare one indeed if you want to read that story). So you can see Parsons fingerprints are everywhere on "country rock", a genre title which incidentally he hated. He preferred to call his music "Cosmic American Music".

Gram Parsons is one of the important figures in music history that most people have never heard of.

Along with some of the other bands that have been mentioned, The New Riders of the Purple Sage (a spinoff from The Grateful Dead) was one of the first great country rock artists too.

Good informative post BobbyG, love the genre title too..."Cosmic American Music"...sounds much better than Country Rock, even though that is the name I grew up associating with that unique hybrid of music.

I have four Byrds albums but not the "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" one,,,I'll put it on my list.:grinthumb

Southern Geologist

Reaction score
One country rocker that is often forgotten is Michael Nesmith. After leaving The Monkees he picked up a backing band and did some 'cosmic cowboy' stuff for a while. It included the excellent steel guitarist Red Rhodes. Magnetic South, Loose Salute, And The Hits Just Keep On Coming, and Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash are all great albums, and conveniently available on two-pack re-releases. "And The Hits Just Keep On Coming" is particularly fascinating; he had lost his band and recorded with just guitar, vocals, and Red on steel.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OMG...this is great & comical stuff!!!

Mike-Nesmith-Magnetic-South-440981.jpg

Michael Nesmith & The National Band "Calico Girlfriend"

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads