Controversial or unpopular opinions

Khor1255

Reaction score
Rush is the most polarizing band of all. People either love them or hate them. I think it mostly has to do with Geddy Lee's voice. Their song lyrics and subject matter don't appeal to most women. Their audience is something like 95% male. They're not known for love songs. Wikipedia lumps them into a geek rock category along with Weezer and the Barenaked Ladies. CNN once wrote an article that it's not cool to like Rush. Rolling Stone wrote something about Rush being Geek Gods when the band was on the cover of that magazine. They're a niche band with a cult following.
Bwahahahaha!

My favorite rock band.

I'm someone CNN considers a nerd. I'll wear that as a badge of honor.

Professional propagandists don't like my taste in music. Great!

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I like 80's KISS a lot.

Works for me! I'm a HUGE fan of their 80's stuff (other than Unmasked which is poop). The Creatures and Lick It Up albums are top 5 KISS albums in my book. :bow: They did have some cheese mixed in there, especially on the Crazy Nights album, but overall, it was still a good decade with some great tracks. Also, they still put on a fantastic stage show in the 80's. Saw them on every tour without makeup.

Contrarian1

Reaction score
Do you like Hot in the Shade? I used to not be a big fan, but recently I've been really digging it.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I come and go with HITS. I like about half of the songs on the album, and the other half are pure filler. But if I'm in the mood, I'll still listen to it, just not as often as about a dozen other albums. ;)

Contrarian1

Reaction score
I come and go with HITS. I like about half of the songs on the album, and the other half are pure filler. But if I'm in the mood, I'll still listen to it, just not as often as about a dozen other albums. ;)

Is the half of the album you like happen to be the Paul songs? I tend to like the Paul songs on HITS , "rise to it" and "love you to hate me" was a sleeper for me for a long time.

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
The Black Album is actually the start ( in a big way ) of the downfall of Metallica artistically. They have done nothing to redeem themselves with their original core fan base and are generally only admired in the metal community for their early work.

P.S. Lars is not suited to play complex music. Should probably start a pop band.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^Agree on Lars his drumming especially live is mediocre now.

My unpopular view (which it shouldn't be unpopular) is I can't stand when people use the bandwagon line of metal dying in the 90s. It is as inaccurate and ignorant as it gets. To me only some sectors of metal went somewhat dormant like Glam, Thrash but Metal was continuing to expand in the 90s with the extreme metal genres, nu-metal (like it or not is metal) and especially lots of progressive metal. This myth that Grunge killed Metal was absolute generic lies. Also heavy groove bands like Pantera paved the way in the 90s for bands like Machine Head, Lamb of God etc to come through and further the Metal expansion. Many of the new (at the time) sub-genres coming through might be more niche in comparison but are nevertheless complete evidence that Metal never died in the 90s and was actually evolving.

jeffnc

Reaction score
The Beatles to me too are really overrated, more so than Oasis in terms of my ranking of them. Theres quite a number of bands which I just dont see what the appeal is to them, like slayer, kiss, queen and guns n roses. Slayer though is the one that gets me the most, the bandwagon come into play with them I believe.

If you don't like the Beatles, that's one thing. If you don't get how important they were and what good musicians they were, that's a different thing. The former is strictly opinion and taste, and you can't be blamed for that. The latter just requires more education about music history etc. :)

With respect to Queen, if you can't find something of Queen's that you like, then you probably just don't like rock/pop music. Extremely talented and diverse, especially Freddie Mercury. No matter what you criticize about one or some of their songs, you can find another song that is practically the opposite.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online