Controversial or unpopular opinions

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
I think Dio is better in Black Sabbath than Ozzy.

I think Van Halen III w/ Gary Cherone is a good album and wish they would have done more together (although I don't care too much for Extreme).

I think Robert Plant's solo stuff is as good as Zeppelin (especially Pictures at Eleven and Principle of Moments).

mysticman52

classic rocker
Reaction score
  • I don't like the Grateful Dead. They're dead to me.
  • I despise Kiss. Kiss can kiss my ass.
  • I avoid Van Halen. I should like them more but I find Eddie's solos clumsy and unappealing.
  • I dislike most of AC/DC mostly because of the lead vocals, and
  • I can't stand Queen because I like my rock to rock and not sound like friggin' opera; Bohemian Rhapsody makes me cringe.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Oh boy, where to start? I could fill a thread like this full of my opinions of which many aren't going to be too popular. :heheh: I'll have to pick at this thread every so often

* Nirvana sucks. Simply said. One of the single-most overrated bands in the history of modern music. People talk about how deep and meaningful Kurt's writing is, I say BS, the guy was a simpleton and a complete hack of a musician. Turning him into a martyr makes my stomach turn. They played up the "whoa is me" message very well, especially to the "whoa is me" generation of the day. Bleh. I could write a lengthy post on this topic alone, but will leave it at this. Terrible writing, terrible musicians and Kurt was a terrible person (yeah I can go into specifics if someone really wants to know my reasoning).

Lynch

Reaction score
Led Zeppelin - the band deserves a lot of credit but also deserves a lot of criticism. I won't go into anything lengthy here as my point in this post (on topic) is that Robert Plant sucks. ok, maybe doesn't "suck", but he's NOT a good lead singer. By far, Plant was the weakest link in the band. Bonham's drumming is legendary. Page's licks are legendary. JPJ was damn good at keeping up the bottom end and was really the only person that didn't look or sound sloppy on stage in the 70's. But Plant? The guy shrills and shrieks far too much. It's painful to listen to at times. He sounds great on some songs and I'd rather jam ice picks in my ears while listening to others.

I know he's gotten plenty of guff from fans over the years for not wanting to do a LZ reunion. For the fans, it may have been a good thing. But he always refused (other than the couple of one-time-only appearances they did). Aside from him seeming like an asshole, I'm fairly certain that the biggest reason he didn't want to do it was because he can't. His voice wasn't good in the 70's. in the 80's and 90's and beyond, he's been fine with his solo stuff because he doesn't sing in the style of LZ anymore (again, because he can't).

I own every LZ album (well, the original stuff, not the 55 re-releases, remasters, etc that keep coming out). When I listen to any of it, it's usually for the music and LASTLY for the vocals.

Sidenote: This is also why I can't stand that craptastic band Greta Van Wannabe. JFC, that kid makes Plant sound like Pavarotti. The music in that band is ok, but sounds 100% like copycat music, however, that kid on vocals is one of the worst things I've ever had the displeasure of listening to. Watching him makes it even worse.

The TL-DR version? Zeppelin was good, Robert Plant is awful.

Lynch

Reaction score
Sorry for the lengthy posts, I just have a harder time with simple comments like:

* Radiohead sucks

While this is 100% true, I feel the need to explain my position on the topic at hand. So, I'll just say this, while Nirvana sucks as well, at least I can see where their crap spoke to a generation of whiners. Radiohead? I can't find one single redeeming factor to any of the music. Even the sappy and crappy bands like Nirvana or Milli Vanilli had a 'hook' to their songs, something tht drew people in. Radiohead? I haven't heard one line, not one note, not one vocal point in any song that made me say "yeah, they aren't any good, but I can see how people would like some of this". Beyonce might be the single-most successful yet talentless act in the history of music but at least I can see where she appeals to a particular audience. Radiohead? Zero, zip, nadda.

Listening to paint try is more entertaining than anything Radiohead has ever recorded.

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Bruce Springsteen is single-handedly the most overrated musician in rock history. Dear ****, that guy sucks like he's giving head for street drugs.

The guy's personality is void of passion and is just dry, so to speak. His music reflects this as well. Maybe one or two remotely listenable songs out of his entire discography. There are musicians out there who does what he's renowned for 10x better!

Aero

Reaction score
Bruce Springsteen is single-handedly the most overrated musician in rock history. Dear ****, that guy sucks like he's giving head for street drugs.

The guy's personality is void of passion and is just dry, so to speak. His music reflects this as well. Maybe one or two remotely listenable songs out of his entire discography. There are musicians out there who does what he's renowned for 10x better!

It would be one thing if you just didn't like his music. But I don't see how you can say his music doesn't have passion. Born To Run, Dancing In The Dark, and many others are filled with a lot more passion than the bands you hear nowadays.

E-Z

Reaction score
When it comes to Bruce Springsteen I am strangely 'indifferent' about him and never got into him and his music although having said that there are some of his songs that I like that have been covered by other artists such as Blinded By The Light covered by Manfred Mann's Earth Band along with Growing Up covered by Alvin Stardust and Because The Night covered by Pattie Smith and also Fire covered by Robert Gordon & Link Wray but maybe the reason I never really got into him was because he became to mainstream popular and when that happens to a artist or band I become less interested.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online