Controversial or unpopular opinions

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I found a thread along these sort of lines on another forum (albeit for something completely different) and I thought it might be interesting to see where our musical opinions differ from those of friends, relatives, critics etc.

I would suggest two guidelines:
1) Keep this thread strictly to music (it doesn't necessarily have to be rock, but I suspect most here will have particularly strong opinions about rock).
2) Keep things at a reasonably mature level, i.e. not 'Everyone likes The Beatles/Led Zeppelin/whoever, but really they're terrible' type arguments.

Here's a few of my more unpopular opinions to get things started:
- Tusk by Fleetwood Mac is generally either underrated - by people who dismiss it due to the more experimental tracks, there's plenty of strong songs (all of Stevie Nicks' songs and Lindsey Buckingham's more focused tunes) - or overrated - I don't consider it to be a masterpiece as there is too much weak material, also most of Christine McVie's songs are dull and plodding and Lindsey Buckingham's production only highlights their weaknesses. I think it's a good album but not as strong as either the White Album or Rumours.
- Stairway To Heaven is not overrated, but Kashmir is. Both are good songs but I find that the former gets better as it goes along leading to the climax whereas the latter starts well but then begins to drag. I wish Page's guitar was a bit more prominent in Kashmir too, whereas I think his solo in Stairway is just the ticket.
- I like Pink Floyd's The Division Bell, but I don't rate A Momentary Lapse Of Reason very highly. I think the main instrumental tracks on the respective albums sum my feelings about them to a certain extent - I think Marooned is great and Gilmour's guitar really soars, whereas Terminal Frost never gets going and hasn't aged well (it sounds very 'Nineteen eighties' to me).

I think it should be interesting to see what we can come up with.

Aero

Reaction score
John Cafferty and The Beaver Brown Band were extremely underrated in their day and their best songs are often just as good as some of the stuff Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band were putting out at the same time.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Why is under or overrated considered so important?
You like the songs or not, that is all!!

PapaJacques

Obligatory New Guy
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion- I prefer studio Grateful Dead over live. Yes, you read that right. Its not that I don't like live performances, its just I never had much time for 20 minute or longer jam sessions. I do see the appeal, and note the excellent musicianship by the members of the Dead, but I always preferred their studio efforts. 'Aoxomoxoa' is one of my favourite albums of 1969.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why is under or overrated considered so important?
You like the songs or not, that is all!!

It is unpopular opinions, that can include if a minority consider someone over or underrated.

Speaking of, one of mine would be I don't think that much of The Wall by Pink Floyd. Album did nothing for me.

Led Zeppelin IV is one of my least favourite albums by the band.

metalife

Reaction score
I found a thread along these sort of lines on another forum (albeit for something completely different) and I thought it might be interesting to see where our musical opinions differ from those of friends, relatives, critics etc.

Did this other forum have anything to do with wrestling?

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
- Stairway To Heaven is not overrated, but Kashmir is. Both are good songs but I find that the former gets better as it goes along leading to the climax whereas the latter starts well but then begins to drag. I wish Page's guitar was a bit more prominent in Kashmir too, whereas I think his solo in Stairway is just the ticket.
- I like Pink Floyd's The Division Bell, but I don't rate A Momentary Lapse Of Reason very highly. I think the main instrumental tracks on the respective albums sum my feelings about them to a certain extent - I think Marooned is great and Gilmour's guitar really soars, whereas Terminal Frost never gets going and hasn't aged well (it sounds very 'Nineteen eighties' to me).

I agree with you completely on Stairway vs. Kashmir. I never found Kashmir as great as it is generally made out to be. It is just an okay track for me. Whereas, Stairway as you say gets better as it goes along and finishes in a grand manner! Plus, I somehow hardly ever tire of Stairway. Even radio overplay of the song doesn't bother me.

Also agreed more or less on your Div Bell vs. Momentary Lapse argument. But I do like Terminal Frost, though I agree that it sounds extremely dated and from the 80s. Momentary Lapse has nostalgic attachments for me though. I first heard the album in 2000 when I was new to the US and staying at my cousin's place in New Jersey. I will forever associate the sounds of the album to that time in my life and that house specifically.
smile.gif

Btw, a lot of people prefer Division Bell to Momentary Lapse. So I'm not sure if it is an unpopular opinion.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online