• Rossington Collins Band

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
I'm starting to think I should have switched my vote to Skynyrd.

If you look at all the hits Skynyrd had over its short tragic career.
Compared to the Allman Brothers number of hits, and in my opinion Skynyrd wins.

Plus 'That Smell' is a kickass song! And who can forget the Freebird solo! :bow:

true Skynyrd had a ton of hits but I went with them because of the albums, they are all solid from the beginning of side 1 to the end of side 2.

I almost picked Allman Bros. because they invented the genre. I have a Skynyrd boot where Ronnie VZ says to the crowd "this next song is dedicated to the Allman Brothers, without whom there would be no Lynyrd Skynrd" or something to that effect. Nuf said there right.:grinthumb

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
true Skynyrd had a ton of hits but I went with them because of the albums, they are all solid from the beginning of side 1 to the end of side 2.

I almost picked Allman Bros. because they invented the genre. I have a Skynyrd boot where Ronnie VZ says to the crowd "this next song is dedicated to the Allman Brothers, without whom there would be no Lynyrd Skynrd" or something to that effect. Nuf said there right.:grinthumb

That is true, I think I remember hearing that somewhere.

Just two talented bands that faced terrible tragedies and were strong enough to overcome the adversity.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
I need to check out The Outlaws, I don't know anything about them really.

Any songs you would recommend to get me started?

The song that turned me on to the Outlaws was Hurry Sundown. :grinthumb Heard it on the radio in the late 70's an searched for it for years without knowing who it was.

dsotm

lunatic in the hall
Reaction score
The song that turned me on to the Outlaws was Hurry Sundown. :grinthumb Heard it on the radio in the late 70's an searched for it for years without knowing who it was.

One of my favorite live albums ever is The Outlaws-Bring It Back Alive. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. Also check out this band. Henry Paul was a founding member of the Outlaws, and when he went on his own he formed the Henry Paul Band. They were very good. The pictured album, Grey Ghost is top flight.

Attachments

• The-Outlaws-Bring-It-Back-Alive-34084-1_1.jpg
    The-Outlaws-Bring-It-Back-Alive-34084-1_1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 21
  • thCA0HDIPQ.jpg
    thCA0HDIPQ.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 21

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I voted for Lynyrd Skynyrd, they're definitely my favourite out of those listed - as others have said they have many classic songs and their albums are top notch.

I'm no expert on Southern Rock, to be honest I'd struggle to name a song by any of the other bands listed with the exceptions of the other two 'big' names, Allman Brothers and ZZ Top (I say big as these three are the bands who get the most attention from the wider rock world). However, I'm surprised it isn't a bit closer between Skynyrd and the Allmans, whereas I can understand ZZ Top not getting many votes so far as they're not quintessentially Southern Rockers in the same way as the other two.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Staff online

Members online