Chickenfoot - Chickenfoot (2009)

opera races

Reaction score
Re: Chickenfoot - Chickenfoot

Just strictly my .02:

As a whole IMO if you take Chickenfoot too seriously then IMO it’s easy to find all kinds of ways to tear it apart.

While Sammy isn’t at the top of my list for anything I’ve always enjoyed his work reasonably well ... I have a seriously weird Sammy-related story but I think I will go find the Sammy thread and post it there instead of going OT here. Anyway, I read his book recently ... very interesting ... and the impression I get is that since he’s been making a living with other things besides music that when it comes to music and having a band, etc., he can do whatever the heck he wants without being pressed to have to make a living at it ... which I’m sure is every musician or wanna-be musician’s dream. Also what I got from the book is that Chickenfoot is strictly a fun thing for him.

Hmmm ... I sort of regard Sammy as more a guy musician who performs with guy bands, not particularly oriented toward females especially the giggling teenage sort though I’m sure females enjoy his work too ;)

I’ve always liked Joe Satriani’s guitar playing. I’m not that into the whole virtuoso guitarist genre but there’s a few players I like I like fairly well. I got to see Joe Satriani play live last December – it was sort of a last minute decision – and I’m glad I went. One thing I found rather endearing and got me past seeing him as strictly a virtuoso/technician is he seemed to have a good sense of humor about himself. It wasn’t his entire vibe during the show but more the times between some of the songs when he stopped and talked to the audience. IMO it’s partly that sense of humor I don’t think most who aren’t heavily into him wouldn’t know about that helps make his being a member of Chickenfoot work.

It wasn’t until relatively recently it struck me how integral Michael Anthony is to Van Halen. Average bassist and maybe he was in the right place at the right time and has a good stage personality but his backing vocals are definitely an identifiable part of the Van Halen sound.

Chad Smith ... oh dear ... every time I see a picture of him I can’t stop thinking about how much he looks like Will Ferrell! I like RHCP pretty well ... didn’t ever make anything of the drumming which as mentioned previously could be a good thing.

I didn’t listen to Chickenfoot as a music nerd or snob. I went into it already surmising that it was meant to be a fun and not too serious album. Honestly I found it a bit hit and miss. Some of the songs I enjoyed and had me engaging in bad dancing in my living room – or wanting to – and some songs didn’t get me that much. As a whole I don’t regret purchasing the CD and I’ve been listening to it from time to time.

Ok, I’m not much for rating albums numerically but I would give Chickenfoot about three and a half out of five.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
The band's name alone is obviously tongue in cheek. Releasing III when there was no II? Well, juvenile humor at best though I do find it funny. Oh and the music... I listened to a friend's copy. It wasn't bad. Goofball stuff not priming to be on Rolling Stone's top 100 albums of the decade. Beats having to put up with speculation of Bieber's purported love child, eh?

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I also disagree about Hagar's vocals. From what I've heard on both of the Chickenfoot albums, Hagar hasn't lost a thing off of his vocals, not bad for a dude in his mid 60's. Now, if you don't like them to begin with, then he's not suddenly going to wow anyone into becoming a fan (well I doubt it anyway), but if you've like his vocals in the past, then I can't see how anyone could be disappointed with it. Again I say he's as good now as he's ever been. I can't say that about really anyone else at his age who has been doing this for 35+ years.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Sammy once said in a Van Halen interview..."Yeah I got a wierd voice. I don't know what keeps it kicking. I don't sit there and drink this wierd stuff...Oh I drink some wierd stuff...but most people say it's not good for your voice"

:heheh:

joe

Reaction score

I would also like to see Michael come back to Van Halen.

I also like the David Lee Roth years MUCH better than the Sammy years.

No I did not think the Sammy (Van Hagar) years sucked. I enjoyed all of it.

Chickenfoot is a decent record. Not bad at all. I ended up liking it just fine.

...nice write up though joe. :grinthumb

Thanx MP. Just for the record, I didn't state that Van Hagar sucked. I agree with you that the Diamond Dave era was much better.

Just strictly my .02:

As a whole IMO if you take Chickenfoot too seriously then IMO it’s easy to find all kinds of ways to tear it apart.

While Sammy isn’t at the top of my list for anything I’ve always enjoyed his work reasonably well ... I have a seriously weird Sammy-related story but I think I will go find the Sammy thread and post it there instead of going OT here. Anyway, I read his book recently ... very interesting ... and the impression I get is that since he’s been making a living with other things besides music that when it comes to music and having a band, etc., he can do whatever the heck he wants without being pressed to have to make a living at it ... which I’m sure is every musician or wanna-be musician’s dream. Also what I got from the book is that Chickenfoot is strictly a fun thing for him.

Hmmm ... I sort of regard Sammy as more a guy musician who performs with guy bands, not particularly oriented toward females especially the giggling teenage sort though I’m sure females enjoy his work too ;)

I’ve always liked Joe Satriani’s guitar playing. I’m not that into the whole virtuoso guitarist genre but there’s a few players I like I like fairly well. I got to see Joe Satriani play live last December – it was sort of a last minute decision – and I’m glad I went. One thing I found rather endearing and got me past seeing him as strictly a virtuoso/technician is he seemed to have a good sense of humor about himself. It wasn’t his entire vibe during the show but more the times between some of the songs when he stopped and talked to the audience. IMO it’s partly that sense of humor I don’t think most who aren’t heavily into him wouldn’t know about that helps make his being a member of Chickenfoot work.

It wasn’t until relatively recently it struck me how integral Michael Anthony is to Van Halen. Average bassist and maybe he was in the right place at the right time and has a good stage personality but his backing vocals are definitely an identifiable part of the Van Halen sound.

Chad Smith ... oh dear ... every time I see a picture of him I can’t stop thinking about how much he looks like Will Ferrell! I like RHCP pretty well ... didn’t ever make anything of the drumming which as mentioned previously could be a good thing.

I didn’t listen to Chickenfoot as a music nerd or snob. I went into it already surmising that it was meant to be a fun and not too serious album. Honestly I found it a bit hit and miss. Some of the songs I enjoyed and had me engaging in bad dancing in my living room – or wanting to – and some songs didn’t get me that much. As a whole I don’t regret purchasing the CD and I’ve been listening to it from time to time.

Ok, I’m not much for rating albums numerically but I would give Chickenfoot about three and a half out of five.

I just didn't have the time to listen to each personnel's entire discography from either thier solo careers and/or other projects and to read (auto)biographies and do a in-depth personality analysis.;)

Here's a quote from a Michael Anthony interview from a few months ago in regards to Chickenfoot III: "[The record] gets kind of serious when Joe gets there, because he's kind of a serious musician. If it wasn't for that, between Chad, Sammy and myself, we'd still be dicking around in there."

I enjoyed reading your review.:grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Thanx MP. Just for the record, I didn't state that Van Hagar sucked. I agree with you that the Diamond Dave era was much better.

Yeah you're right. You didn't say it. I was just saying that I didn't think it sucked...for me.

Thinking out loud sorta thing.

:grinthumb

joe

Reaction score
The band's name alone is obviously tongue in cheek. Releasing III when there was no II? Well, juvenile humor at best though I do find it funny. Oh and the music... I listened to a friend's copy. It wasn't bad. Goofball stuff not priming to be on Rolling Stone's top 100 albums of the decade. Beats having to put up with speculation of Bieber's purported love child, eh?

The album is definitely not a Gordion Knot and obviously not a complex strategic plagiarized review over a two week period either.

I just assumed Sammy couldn't count.

It wouldn't surprize me in the least if it did make Rolling Stone's top 100 albums of the decade.

I'm marveled at your finesse and solemn sence of humour.

"eh" > Your swipe of your rubber sword missed. Being a proud Canadian I'm going to ignore your pronounced mockery.

"In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher." Wouldn't Robert take this line of philosophy?

joe

Reaction score

Yeah you're right. You didn't say it. I was just saying that I didn't think it sucked...for me.

Thinking out loud sorta thing.

:grinthumb

I think out loud all the time MP. An attribute IMO.:grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why can't some people accept Joe has a different opinion?
Blimey, some people here get ridiculous when someone has a different opinion over someones review.
Good write up Joe. Some call it biased, but it is your opinion and quite entitled to it.
It takes a lot of balls to write up a negative review to an album a lot of people like but its great to see you give your opinion, if it is brutally honest, so be it, I love that. Don't sugar coat your opinion to please anyone else. :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.