1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chickenfoot - Chickenfoot (2009)

Discussion in 'Album Reviews' started by joe, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Slip'nn2Darkness

Slip'nn2Darkness Sub Sonic Soul Shaker

Steel Panther is a fire it back in your face band..:D They decided to just go with it and yes I do own the first Steel Panther.. It has some great songs but I've only listened to a couple of times.. I don't mind throwing money their way since it's for a good cause..:heheh:

2. joe

joe Senior Member

As I stated in a earlier post in this thread I took your self-gratifying personal insults as petty and now with your blind and overweening ignorance and your insinuating arrogant conduct of expression pertaining to my listening preferences is offensively forward, not to mention hypocritical and immature.

Your claim of "I asked Joe to post his review" is a lie as I might suggest that you re-read your post (#42 permalink) in this thread:

http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f4/everybody-gets-them-but-me-364/index3.html

Furthermore you accussed me of being biased. Again I might suggest you re-read your post (#96 permalink) in the same thread. I'll be kind enough to provide you link to the page here:

http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f4/everybody-gets-them-but-me-364/index7.html

I don't see anything positive to be gained by this conservation going forward. Do you?

3. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

Let's just remember that people post album reviews to explain their own personal thoughts about an album. And you're also allowed to make more than one album review thread on the same album, so if people don't agree with what one person said about a review, just make your own review instead of saying the person reviewing is wrong.

4. joe

joe Senior Member

Words of wisdom.

5. Slip'nn2Darkness

Slip'nn2Darkness Sub Sonic Soul Shaker

I don't know why you have such a hard time understanding when somebody is speaking right at your face..
    You quoted me a couple of times and I have no idea where your thinking went wrong..
    Accusations are at this point in your court.. I'll roll on knowing that this turned out to be a spliff conversation with someone who was just too high to read between the lines..
    Next time you address my quotes.. make sure your dead on or I'll think BS is your game plan..
    Have a enlightened day Bro..:cheers2

6. Lynch

Lynch Here for the cookies and the tunes

Alright kids, settle down. [​IMG]

7. Garrett

Garrett ✯ Blues Man ✯

Well, it`s obvious that we all have different opinions on this Band and that`s what makes life interesting...It would be boring if we all agreed. I like `em and support Slip'n....after all he did turn me onto to Chickenfoot!

8. joe

joe Senior Member

I'm finding you rather entertaining amidst your angry and uncomfortable state of mind with your self-contradictions and your presumptuousness of who I am and what I do. Now you are making a fallacious accusatory statement that I use drugs that in reality couldn't be further from the truth. What next?

All of your contemptuous allegations directed toward me is ridiculous. After all, my review of this album is all about you as you're the center of the universe. Absolutely amazing but not surprizing.

9. METALPRIEST

METALPRIEST Senior Member

Like another had pointed out. There is always room for another Chickenfoot review...or 2 or 3.

:grinthumb

10. Big Ears

Big Ears Music Lover

I loved the first Montrose album, containing four standout tracks: Rock the Nation, Bad Motor Scooter, Space Station No. 5 and Rock Candy (a far better track than Led Zeppelin's later Candy Store Rock). Paper Money, if anything was even better, with the title track, I Got the Fire, Starliner and Jagger/Richards' Connection. The band were compared with Led Zeppelin at the time, with Sammy Hagar even looking like Plant, but were less blues based and more rock 'n' roll inspired. Ronnie Montrose is a consistently inspired, but restrained and tasteful guitarist, while Sammy Hagar has an equally restrained and melodic voice. He is neither screamer nor shouter, but has, in his own words, got the power. Denny Carmassi, Bill Church and Alan Fitzgerald were all equally talented.

Whereas Ronnie Montrose eventually found another great singer in Davey Pattison, brought Alan Fitzgerald to the fore (as a synthesier player) and made three staggering albums with Gamma, Sammy Hagar seemed to flounder. He continued with the same rhythm section as Ronnie, but his albums seemed flat by comparison. Only his version of Donovan Leitch's Young Girl Blues stands out as a strong piece of work. Having shown his frustration at being the front man of a band named after its guitarist, he ironically settled in another such band, Van Halen. Despite a few standouts like That's What Dreams Are Made Of, Hagar was probably too good a singer for the group, who really needed a showman with David Lee Roth's charisma.

Sammy Hagar's spell with Van Halen was commercially and financially successful, but the split was acrimonious and followed by ill-conceived reunions and various 'supergroups', until Chickenfoot materialised. Never a drinker or drugtaker, Sammy's voice is still in good shape, but Michael Anthony's presence reminds one of Ginger Baker's in Blind Faith, ie. an unwelcome reminder of the past. Guitarist Joe Satriani may be a technical virtuoso, but he does not have the feel and songwriting ability of Ronnie Montrose. But most uncomfortable of all is the presence of Red Hot Chili Peppers' drummer Chad Smith, who brings to the band an awkward funk element. Don't get me wrong, he is not a bad drummer and funk can sit with hard rock, as in the Red Hot Chili Peppers themselves and Glenn Hughes/Trapeze, but this just does not work.

Chickenfoot was rapidly renamed Chickenshit by disappointed fans of the individual players and journalists gave it a luke warm reception at best. All credit to the band though, because they persevered and returned with the deliberately misnamed Chickenfoot III. With Ronnie Montose's Gamma 4 being a disappointment (Davey Pattison later joining Robin Trower), surely now is the time for a Montrose reunion.