Re: Buffalo Springfield

^^^

And someone had to post this! :grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Re: Buffalo Springfield

... and another peerless Buffalo Springfield track. Hung Upside Down.

RIP Dewey and Bruce.:cheers2

Last edited by a moderator:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
45 Years Ago: Buffalo Springfield Perform Final Concert

Buffalo-Springfield-D3.jpg

SOURCE LINK

Buffalo Springfield were always a house of cards caught in a hurricane. Neil Young was — and still is — famous for going wherever his muse takes him, others be damned. From the band’s earliest days Young had issues to deal with, including the onset of epilepsy, constant drug use, and apprehension about the band management and the music business in general. On May 5, 1968, Buffalo Springfield gave their final performance as a group.

Young had previously bailed on the band for their performance at the Monterey International Pop Festival in June of 1967. Stephen Stills brought in Byrds guitarist David Crosby for the gig, which also caused tension within the Byrds camp.

“Actually, the reason I initially left the group was because I didn’t want to do the Johnny Carson Tonight Show,” Young told Mojo in 1995. “I thought it was belittling what the Buffalo Springfield was doing. That audience wouldn’t have understood us. We’d have been just a f—in’ curiosity to them.”

He left the band for the final time after a show at the Long Beach Arena in California. “I just couldn’t handle it towards the end,” said Young. “It wasn’t me scheming on a solo career, it wasn’t anything but my nerves. Everything started to go to f—ing fast. It was going crazy, joining and quitting, joining and quitting again. I began to feel like I didn’t have to answer or obey anyone. I’d quit, then I`d come back ‘cos it sounded so good. I just wasn’t mature enough to deal with it.”

Stills added, “We fell prey to the whole entourage system. Everybody had to have his own entourage and it got stupid. We forgot the initial brotherhood.”

It wouldn’t be until a 2010 appearance at Neil Young’s annual Bridge School Benefit, and a brief reunion tour in 2011, that the legendary band would again grace a live stage.

Buffalo Springfield Set List – May, 5, 1968
‘Rock ‘n Roll Woman’
‘A Child’s Claim to Fame’
‘Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing’
‘Good Time Boy’
‘Mr. Soul’
‘Uno Mundo’
‘For What It’s Worth’
‘Bluebird’

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The mercurial twists and turns of a supergroup, almost happens everytime bands like this get together. That many strong willed creative people just can't coexist for long. Like a meteor shooting across the night sky, enjoy the moment because it will be gone soon.

Neil has come a long way since then, easily the most successful member of Buffalo or CSN&Y. Not too many years ago he was opening for Pearl Jam, but Eddie Vedder got sick(or something happened) so Neil had to play an extended set in front of a raucous crowd. He commented "Well half the crowd were into what I was doing, the other half screaming for Eddie and company to play, but I kept playing because walking off stage was not an option a riot would have broken out."

CurtRHCP

Reaction score
I really like Neil Young, and I just discover "Buffalo Springfield", I never heard a studio version of their songs (but I knew, through the solo carreer of Neil few tracks) till now. Now I'm often listening Buffalo Springfield Again on youtube :)

And what a G-R-E-A-T band! Woah, I really like, there's everything in this band, slow song and powerfull rock track... My favorite songs are : Expecting To Fly, A Child's Claim To Fame, Bluebird, Mr. Soul, For What It's Worth, Rock & Roll Woman.

Broken Arrow is, in my opinion, the most special song of "Buffalo Springfield Again", I really like the piano arrangements.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Essential sixties album.I have spent much time over on the official band site of "Incense and Peppermints" band Strawberry Alarm Clock,who did a massive tour with the Springfield and Beach Boys in '67-'68.I'm sure they'd be quite happy to respond to any inquiries about the band.Alarm Clock's chief bassist George Bunnell was quite close with Neil Young for a while and was with Young one night at the Whisky A Go Go watching Wilson Pickett perform when Young started writing the beginings of "Mr. Soul",which was about the soul performer's set.The inclusion of the Stones' "Satisfaction" riff was taken from Pickett's performance of the song that night.My two favorite "Again" tracks are Young's "Expecting To Fly" and Stephen Stills' rather sophisticated "Everydays".Excellent.......

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online