Bruce Willis Sues Apple over iTunes ownership

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Well I do not like the idea of no CD's let me tell you, I buy as many as I can get my hands on, I love the hard copy, looks like I will have to buy more and more and more then to ensure I have all the copies I need and then I will live in my own music world where all the big corps can't get me.

And another thing, when you go to a gig and the band sells their CD's, are they going to stop that or will you just have to buy them from shows or take a hard drive and download at the gig, what a crock....I could go on....:(

I couldn't agree more and I've got loads of CDs, with little booklets, that I'm hanging on to. I also agree that WAV/FLAC files tend to be bigger than many people imply. I may be unusual for someone my age, but I do like mp3 files and listen to them a lot.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
This is really, really stupid. If he wants his daughters to have the collection all he does is say "Hey Sara (or whomever), here's the password to my iTunes."

Or even... "Hey Sara, here's 25 of my ipods. Use them wisely."

Why he'd want to cause a fuss like this when it's categorically unnecessary is beyond me.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
I have switched to iTunes and digital, as the result of two children and the need for space (CDs carefully packed, but gathering dust in my garage), which is why I started this thread: it's a real issue for me.

I'm not demonising Apple, but just a little more common sense would go some way:

1. Make owning the MP3/ AAC file relevant to a household/ immediate family. It wouldn't take much legislation and unless people would idiotically purchase product that their wife/ son/ daughter already own under the same roof, Apple and the artists will not lose a penny.

2. Upscale sound quality options to 320 KBPS. Not everyone listens to music through a 3mm iPhone speaker on a busy high street. Some of us require hi-fidelity. AAC is not that.

3. Stop the ridiculous practice of having "album only" bonus tracks. It's a shameless marketing tool and stops people purchasing, say, three new tracks on an album they already own on CD.

4. Keep better track of new release schedules that aren't via major labels. For example, the new Heart LP is out on 2nd October and there's no sign of a pre-order album release. No doubt it'll arrive on iTunes some time in late November.

5. More bargain bin style sale items, rather than trying to sell the majority of items at £0.99 per track or £7.99 per album (UK price). You need to flex the pricing policy to fit the market for a given product. Just good business sense in terms of what the consumer is prepared to pay.

6. And whilst we're on price: I fully understand why the price of a tune in UK is more expensive than, say, in the US (different market and inflation rates), but it's abhorrent that you'd prevent people from purchasing internationally from overseas iTunes stores. It's even credit card region based, so if I happen to be in the States I still couldn't purchase a track at US price points! Can you imagine McDonalds in New York refusing to serve you, because you're from the UK?

Last edited:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Things don't look set to get any better, with three record companies controlling the market: Universal (who now own EMI/Parlophone), Sony and Warners. They'll be operating as a virtual cartel, dictating terms and conditions to, say, Spotify.

Martin Mills, the CEO of Beggars Group said, "Someone who was running Universal at the time said to an independent label colleague of mine, 'Think of ourselves as being in the jungle. I'm an elephant and you're an ant and I tread on you and kill you and I don't even know I've done it.' And I think that applies just as much today."

The upside is, with such blatant bad practice at a time of declining sales, all three will go down together. Walking past my local HMV the other day, I couldn't help thinking how it looked more like a computer games outlet than a record shop.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Things don't look set to get any better, with three record companies controlling the market: Universal (who now own EMI/Parlophone), Sony and Warners. They'll be operating as a virtual cartel, dictating terms and conditions to, say, Spotify.

Martin Mills, the CEO of Beggars Group said, "Someone who was running Universal at the time said to an independent label colleague of mine, 'Think of ourselves as being in the jungle. I'm an elephant and you're an ant and I tread on you and kill you and I don't even know I've done it.' And I think that applies just as much today."

The upside is, with such blatant bad practice at a time of declining sales, all three will go down together. Walking past my local HMV the other day, I couldn't help thinking how it looked more like a computer games outlet than a record shop.

Could not agree more. The allegorical quote from the Universal Exec fails to appreciate that there's a man with an elephant gun who'll take him out before the ant: it's called file sharing and it's impossible to stop. Cause? Major labels not properly approaching the onset of digital/ online age and music lovers turning to other means instead.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online