Bruce Springsteen (Official Thread)

JimJam

Reaction score
Those magazine cover stories were an albatross around Springsteen's neck for a long time. I recall he incorporated them into the lyrics of Rosalita during his concerts at the time. I also remember my father had a Time subscription at the time and he wondered who that guy was and why on earth he was on the cover, lol.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Those magazine cover stories were an albatross around Springsteen's neck for a long time. I recall he incorporated them into the lyrics of Rosalita during his concerts at the time. I also remember my father had a Time subscription at the time and he wondered who that guy was and why on earth he was on the cover, lol.

good post JimJam but what do you think about the radio broadcast cds which have been released...

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Bruce Springsteen's 'The River' doc 'The Ties That Bind' gets HBO premiere date

HBO has set a date for the premiere of "The Ties That Bind," the documentary about the making of Bruce Springsteen's iconic double album "The River": Nov. 27.

"The Ties That Bind," named for the album's opening track, was released in 1980 and features "Cadillac Ranch," "Independence Day," "Out in the Street" and, of course, "The River," as well as Springsteen's first top 10 song, "Hungry Heart." In the documentary, Springsteen will discuss his writing process and the evolution of the songs from studio to concert stage. It will also feature unreleased archival footage from the tour that supported the album, recently unearthed photographs from the recording sessions, and previously unheard demos and outtakes of "Cindy," "Chain Lightning," and other songs.

But if you miss it — though no self-respecting fan of The Boss would — the documentary will be included in the special 35th anniversary boxed set of "The River" that will be released next month. The boxed set will include the record's original tracks, two discs of outtakes, a single-disc version of the album Springsteen had planned to release in 1979, and a nearly three-hour concert filmed during The River tour, in Tempe, Ariz.

Springsteen this week also released a video of "Ramrod" taken from the Tempe concert film:

Documentary Promo:

The Ties That Bind Box Set:

508.jpg

LINK: http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/...ngsteen_the_river_the_ties_that_bind_doc.html

Last edited:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Bruce Springsteen, Jon Stewart Riff for Injured Vets at Stand Up for Heroes

720x405-BRUCE_SPRINGSTEEN_STAND_UP_19.jpg

At last night's Stand Up for Heroes benefit in New York, Jon Stewart knew what everyone was thinking as soon as he took the stage. Dressed in a super-casual-Friday T-shirt and jacket, Stewart sported his newly trimmed white beard and cracked, "I didn't know Jon Stewart's grandfather was here." He added, with a mordant joke, "I'm as old as shit!"

Veterans Day comes with many traditions — parades and commemorations for those who've served and defended the country — and Stand Up for Heroes, held the night before Veterans Day this year, is among the most solemn and entertaining. Presented by the New York Comedy Festival and the Bob Woodruff Foundation, the annual event raises funds to assist injured service members and their families. Now in its ninth year, the three-hour event, held at the Theater at Madison Square Garden, has its own particular traditions, all on display last night: deeply felt tributes to the servicemen in the audience, irreverent and often ribald humor from the participating comedians and a mini-set of songs by Bruce Springsteen — who also adhered to his own tradition of telling a few delightfully dirty jokes.

Racy humor — with a bit of politics — was the recurring theme of the night. After thanking the crowd for sparing him having to watch the Republican debate taking place at the same time, Seth Meyers demonstrated he can be as comfortable doing standup as sitting behind a desk. He riffed on barroom fights, his marriage and even his wife's food poisoning on their wedding day. One of the downsides, had she died? "You're going to be a suspect."

Like Stewart, Ray Romano sported a beard and joked about what it symbolized — that he was working on a project about "a guy who just doesn't care anymore." The crowd whooped it up over his riffs on life in his fifties — more doctor friends and fewer friends like the ones you have in your twenties who can get tickets to anything, like an REO Speedwagon concert. ("Thirty years ago, that was a hot ticket," Romano cracked.) Mentioning his role in the upcoming HBO series Vinyl, about the music business in the Seventies, he joked about the difference between "sitcom sex and HBO sex" and explained he had to kill a spider in his shower recently because the bug had seen him masturbating: "He wasn't going to say anything, but why take the chance?"

Jokes like that set the tone for the rest of the no-digs-held-back wisecracks that threaded through the evening. John Oliver described a recent vacation in Australia, complete with "comfortably racist" locals who relentlessly slagged Lebanese. ("Who the **** has a problem with the Lebanese people?" Oliver brayed). Yet it was Stewart's routine, the last of the evening before Springsteen's set, that was the most anticipated in light of his departure from The Daily Show. After a few references to his semi-retirement and how rabbinical he looks, Stewart ambled back into the political arena, calling Trump "easily mockable" and comparing him to a summer-camper who has to put his name on everything he owns. Stewart mocked the "he says what he thinks" rationale behind Trump's popularity ("Why is that a virtue?") and dripped sarcasm when commenting on how "presidential" Trump's tweets are (Stewart imagined Lincoln tweeting, "Emancipate this, ****er!").

After being introduced by Stewart as the "prince of New Jersey," Springsteen, performing solo and acoustic, played a slowed-down "For You" that never sounded more resonant, then rolled into three Born in the U.S.A. classics: "Darlington County" (complete with whistle solo), a whooping "Working on the Highway" and a midtempo, meditative "Dancing in the Dark." In between, Springsteen, to the anticipation of the crowd, told a few proudly smutty jokes, including one about a man who gives his easily aroused wife a "Voodoo Penis" vibrator and another about a struggling entertainer named "Penis Van *******" who takes an agent's advice and changes his name — to "Dick Van Dyke." "These are musician jokes," Springsteen cracked after one of them. "I didn't say they were good."

Springsteen also helped the Bob Woodruff Foundation with its biggest haul of the night: auctioning off an autographed Fender Strat along with tickets and backstage passes to the next E Street Band show. Two people in the audience each bid $370,000 for their own guitars and tickets, adding up to $740,000. Springsteen was also at the heart of the evening's most amusing sight gag: He rode out onto the stage on a Harley-Davidson also being auctioned. With Meyers contributing four tickets to the taping of Late Night — and Romano adding in the hand sanitizer in his jacket — the Harley went for $100,000. (Overall, this year's event was the most successful Stand Up for Heroes ever, pulling in a total of $6,126,711.) For all the jokes, though, everyone knew why they were there. Addressing the servicemen and women in the front rows during his set, Stewart added, poignantly, "You guys make me remember that we can be better."

Read more: Bruce Springsteen, Jon Stewart Riff for Vets at Stand Up for Heroes | Rolling Stone
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^

I'd recommend getting "The River" next.

My two favourite Springstreen albums are "Nebraska" and "The River".

My suggestion would be Darkness on the Edge of Town. The 'Darkness Era' live shows were also considered the best by many.

Having an idea of the kind of music Riff Raff gravitates to, I don't think he would care for Nebraska, Ghost of Tom Joad, Devils and Dust or Seeger Sessions. These are actually my least favorite of Bruce's. I'd much rather hear Bruce rocking out with the boys. I too like Greetings but I think I like Wild, Innocent a little better. NYC Serenade...perfection! Not to mention Incident, Sandy, Kitty, Rosie, oh and that Shuffle song :D. I guess that's just about the whole album minus one song. Anyway, for now I think Riff should stick with the rocker albums, but that's just my opinion.
:grinthumb

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
I've just come in from work and there is a Bruce Springsteen docco on TV at the moment - missed what it's called but Bruce has just done an acoustic version of Two Hearts :grinthumb

*edit*

The docco is called The Ties That Bind.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online