Bruce Springsteen (Official Thread)

rtbuck

Reaction score
I really enjoyed that Bang a Gong/Route 66 cover(I never heard that).I actually like some of those artists (Greg Kihn, Marshall Crenshaw, John Eddie(whatever happened to him? I really liked the song Jungle Boy but that was the last I heard by him)) Anyway my favorite cover Bruce did...

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I really enjoyed that Bang a Gong/Route 66 cover(I never heard that).I actually like some of those artists (Greg Kihn, Marshall Crenshaw, John Eddie(whatever happened to him? I really liked the song Jungle Boy but that was the last I heard by him)) Anyway my favorite cover Bruce did...

Yes, great cover! :grinthumb

I liked 'Jungle Boy' too. John Eddie still performs a lot down the Jersey shore and the tri-state area. I saw him play at the Light of Day benefit in January. He's still pretty good and has a pretty decent following.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
40 years ago today, October 27, 1975.

newsTimeNewsweek.jpg

MAKING OF A ROCK STAR'S COVER COUP
Forty years ago, the face of a young Bruce Springsteen — "Rock's New Sensation!" — landed simultaenously on the covers of both Time and Newsweek magazines. With Springsteen's star on the rise following Born to Run, Jay Cocks interviewed him for Time, and Maureen Orth for Newsweek; either cover story alone would have been astounding publicity, but both at once — a first for a rock musician — caused shockwaves. For Springsteen to go, in a year, from fears of being dropped from his label to the covers of both leading national news magazines... you have chalk it up to not only the strength of Born to Run and his live performances, but fast-talking manager Mike Appel.

"Everybody says, 'Oh, God, how did this happen? It's an extraordinary coup!'" Appel laughs as he tells Backstreets the story. And it's true, particularly with each magazine aware of the other's plans. In the days leading up to publication — would they or wouldn't they? — Mike passed along a message for each of the magazine's senior editors to give him a call. We'll let him take it from there.

So each one of them does call me. I talked to the first guy, from Newsweek, and he's saying to me, "Hey, listen, if Time Magazine does this, we're not doing it. We're gonna run a story about Mayor Beame and the New York City fiscal crisis. I'm telling you, we're ready to go with that, son." So I said, "Well, if you think Mayor Abe Beame and the fiscal crisis of New York City is gonna sell your magazines rather than the explosion of a great new superstar who's gonna be as big as Elvis Presley, and you're gonna end up having to put him on the cover six months from now... if you think that's better, then who the hell am I? I'm just a rock guy — you're the guru when it comes to magazines, not me." He said, "That's right!" Boom! And hangs up! He's not nice about it. I'm kissing his ass, and he's angry.

Next the guy from Time Magazine calls me up, he says — these guys are just incredible — "If Newsweek does the story, we're not, we're pulling the story. We have other options where we can go." I said, "Look, let me tell you: you have an opportunity to beat Rolling Stone. Rolling Stone is asleep at the wheel here. They don't know that there is a Bruce Springsteen and how important he's going to be. They are sound asleep. This is a chance for a stodgy magazine — pardon what I call you guys, pardon my adjective, but you're a stodgy magazine to guys like me — this your chance to kick Rolling Stone's butt all over the place by putting Bruce Springsteen on the cover of that magazine." He said, "Did you hear what I said?" I said, "Yes, I did." He said, "Well, good." Boom!

I look up at the ceiling, I go, "Mike, you're losing your touch... both of these guys ****ing hate your guts, they're not gonna do this, this is not happening. Thank you very much, but this is not happening."

So everybody's calling me all weekend long. I'm like, "Hey, I don't know. I have to go to the newsstand just like everybody else on Monday morning to find out if it happened or it didn't. I do not know. Nobody's telling me anything. Nobody knows anything except for Time and Newsweek, and they're not lettin' anybody know anything. You got it?"

So on Monday morning I run down to the newsstand. It's six o'clock in the morning, I'm there, and they're unloading the truck that brings all the new Newsweeks and Times and all these other newspapers to the newsstand, and they have the stacks there. He says, "Buddy, that's the Time and Newsweek stacks." I see that it is — it says Time and Newsweek on the kraft paper, but you can't see the magazines yet. So I had one of the truck drivers slit the cords holding these stacks of magazines, and then when he rips them off I said, "Oh... oh my God, we got 'em both... we got 'em both! Holy Christ, we have 'em both!"

And then it says October 27th — that's my birthday, and of course, on both of them it says October 27th. Can you imagine? I mean, can you imagine? I grabbed as many as I could carry, went back to the hotel, I pounded on everybody's door... these guys are used to sleeping until 12, two o'clock in the afternoon, and I'm pounding on their doors at 6:15 or 6:30 in the morning, bang bang bang. Everybody's like, "Huh? What? What's the problem?" I said, "There's no problem, Jack. Covers of Time and Newsweek: here they are!"

Everybody went bananas. I mean, totally freaking bananas. The phone didn't stop ringing; in fact, the next day I got calls from big-time publicity agents for big acts, Stephen Stills, Barry Manilow, whoever, right? And the publicists were actually angry with me on the phone: "Who the **** are you to get Time and Newsweek? Who the **** are you?" And I can see exactly what they were saying. In other words, they were so right... but we were so blessed I guess is the word to use. We had struggled so hard and stayed true to, I guess, a rock 'n' roll kind of manifesto, if you will, that the gods gave it to us.

And all those shows that Bruce Springsteen played where he got a good review from some writer, there was this crescendo of good, positive press that ended up in the covers of Time and Newsweek. That's what happened. And maybe Mike Appel got carried with it, maybe he was the last little guy to take advantage of how everybody would **** everybody around and manipulate everybody, but at the same time Bruce was himself a worthy recipient of this giant tsunami of press that ended up manifesting itself in Time and Newsweek simultaneous covers which never were done before. Not Elvis, not the Beatles... only Brucie.

In fact, the next issue of Time Magazine talked about the simultaneous covers in each one of the magazines, so we got this enormous amount of press from that twice over! And of course Rolling Stone was embarrassed — and they would not be embarrassed with Bruce Springsteen ever again. I mean, they put him on the cover more than anybody else. The Time and Newsweek stuff actually kicked them into gear where they were forced to put Bruce Springsteen on the cover an inordinate amount of times, to make up for the mistake.

- October 27, 2015 - as told to Christopher Phillips

LINK: Backstreets.com: Springsteen News

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online