Bruce Springsteen (Official Thread)

Minlinks1

Reaction score
I use to really like B.S when i was in my very early 20s, was with my best friend in her bedroom and we were listenning at him all the time, then i kind of "forgotten him" and 20 years later i realise how much this guy was and still is incredible..and when i feel a bit down, adore watching him singing "you never can tell"

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Darkness On The Edge Of Town is still my favorite Bruce album.

And it wasn't until just recently that I checked out The River on iTunes that I realized just how many good songs are on that album. You can easily discard half the material on that double album and still have an outstanding single album (and maybe, song-for-song, even better than Darkenss...):

Side 1
The River
Fade Away
Hungry Heart
Sherry Darling
The Ties That Bind

Side 2
Ramrod
Out In The Street
Two Hearts
I'm A Rocker
Cadillac Ranch

Born In The U.S.A. has lost a bit of its luster with me, but it's still a classic.

I like a few select tracks of his from the 80's and 90's, but Darkness On The Edge Of Town, The River, Born In The U.S.A. and Born To Run are his best albums overall (imo).

CRAZY-HORSE

Reaction score
I own all of his albums except for the last one "high hopes" which just never cut it for me, that said I do need it to keep my collection intact and when I see it in a discount bin some day I will get it...

only two of his albums I don't like overall and they are the "lucky town" "human touch" duo from the early 1990s, there are good tracks on them but too much filler IMO, he should have, IMO, just released one album containing tracks from both...

his best albums (or more to the point my favourites...),
impossible to say, sometimes I like the narrative of "the ghost of tom goad", other times the sparseness of "Nebraska" etc etc...
overall I think he has been one of the most consistently good artists over the last 50 years.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Anyone lucky enough to get tickets to this?

Springsteen-on-Broadyway-Header.jpeg

darklands

everything's broken, and my Stacys are soaking wet
Reaction score
Darkness On The Edge Of Town is still my favorite Bruce album.

And it wasn't until just recently that I checked out The River on iTunes that I realized just how many good songs are on that album. You can easily discard half the material on that double album and still have an outstanding single album (and maybe, song-for-song, even better than Darkenss...):

Side 1
The River
Fade Away
Hungry Heart
Sherry Darling
The Ties That Bind

Side 2
Ramrod
Out In The Street
Two Hearts
I'm A Rocker
Cadillac Ranch

Born In The U.S.A. has lost a bit of its luster with me, but it's still a classic.

I like a few select tracks of his from the 80's and 90's, but Darkness On The Edge Of Town, The River, Born In The U.S.A. and Born To Run are his best albums overall (imo).

This is a bit like that thing - choosing the best single album version of The Beatles ('white') double album. Noticed you'd missed off 'Jackson Cage'..... - so, here's my attempt [think we have quite different 'taste' (even within Springsteen's music), which is cool]:

Side 1.
The Ties That Bind
Sherry Darling
Jackson Cage
Hungry Heart
Independence Day
Fade Away

Side 2.
Out in the Street
The River
Point Blank
Stolen Car (longer outtake version)
The Price You Pay
Wreck on the Highway

Surprised I've never done this before....just giving my version a play through.
I know, I've cheated (couldn't help it - would still just fit on a vinyl album I think [OK, side 2 wouldn't!]). I guess the second side gets a bit dark....whereas your second side is a bit like the second encore of one of his concerts!.
Hmm, 'Jersey Girl' - bit of a Springsteen fan I guess (or Tom Waits)? - or just from (New) Jersey?! Presume you're aware of 'The Ties That Bind' - early single album version of The River?
You're pretty right about there being two (distinct) albums within The River; this is something Bruce actively avoided with the Darkness On The Edge Of Town - check-out the up-tempo / pop-y outtakes on The Darkness.

darklands

everything's broken, and my Stacys are soaking wet
Reaction score
OK; Best of Springsteen (do need to check a few later albums out in more detail to pick up the odd better later track [not Working on a Dream album though!]):

4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
Incident on 57th Street
Thunder Road
Backstreets
Meeting Across the River
Jungleland
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Jackson Cage
Independence Day
The River
Dancing in the Dark
Janey, Don't You Lose Heart
Jersey Girl (doesn't count cos, essentially, it's a cover)
Trapped (as above)
Atlantic City
State Trooper
Used Cars
Losin' Kind (outtake)
Brilliant Disguise
Tougher Then the Rest
Streets of Philadelphia
Human Touch
Living Proof
Magic

There's so many tracks I've missed off to keep this list to a reasonable length (Born to Run!! - it's a list of my favourite tracks, not necessarily what are recognised as his best tracks) (any Springsteen 'Best Of' that I've put together always have at least thirty tracks!).
May have a try at a Human Touch / Lucky Town single album sometime...
New album due out (this month?) - not holding my breath, given his more recent stuff! Ever hopeful though.

Favourite albums, in order:
Nebraska
Born to Run
The River
The Wild, the Innocent...
Born in the USA
Tunnel of Love

Now I'll go back and look through more of the old posts in this thread....

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I had an interesting video pop up in my youtube feed. A new John Mellencamp album is due in Jan.2022.

But this single/video features another 80's icon, apparently maybe on a few tracks.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online