Billy Joel (Official Thread)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
His 70s output is untouchable. The Stranger is one of those ridiculously good albums that you can just put on and let it run out.

Apparently Big Shot was written about a bad date with Bebe Buell, the mother of Liv Tyler... she made her way around with the rock stars in the 70's and 80's. ;)

sco703

Reaction score
Captain Jack is an amazing track. There's a line in there that is very personal to my family. Not sure if I've mentioned that on here before or not.

Lord Dweedle

Reaction score
Got Billy's greatest hits album a few months ago, I like it but I want one of his studio albums, what one would you guys recommend?

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
For me Piano Man is a classic album, I am in the process of getting all his albums, it is amazing the amount of great work he has put out:)

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
:heheh:

Glass Houses
Billy_Joel_Glass_Houses-B00000DDMH.jpg

:cheers2

This MY fav album too !!!

I pretty much love all his things but this was the first one I ever owned (I STILL have it..tho I can play it anymore)

Billy's love of old school rock n roll. Motown and some Fab lovin''was always a natural attraction to his music for me.

My least favorite era was the Christy Brinkley era ie : Uptown Girl ect..tho I do love it ..it where his music went from amazing lyrics to a period of pop . I really dislike We Didn't Start The Fire..it kinda rubbish ..compared to Piano Man or Scenes From An Italian Rest ? I think he certainly could have written better ..it's a very popular tune of his ..but I say :mehhh: Not for me..

Lord Dweedle

Reaction score
I will look up some of his Studio ones, one of my favorite all time artists is Fats Domino and I think him and Billy have the same style, Piano rock is cool.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I would also go with Piano Man as well as The Stranger, Glass Houses and I come back to 52nd Street alot.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Outrageous!!!...this forum has no Billy Joel thread!! ( as a protest you can see who has just turned up on my sig)

I first thought that this is maybe because we simply have no Billy Joel fans, though then I seriously doubted that because I have been around here long enough now to know that there are plenty of people on CRF who recognise genius as soon as they hear/see it. So I can only therefore conclude that it's just that everybody here hates short fat bald men (neither Van Morrison nor Elton have their own threads either) :uh: :mad

Anyway, even though there's a danger that this thread could possibly turn into a solo effort, I have long been of the personal opinion that there are 7, maybe 8, truly great all-time-music-hall-of-fame singer/songwriters in the world, who in my view nobody else can hold a candle to...Springsteen, Dylan, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder, Tom Petty, Tom Waits......and Billy Joel.

I've seen Billy J live 3 times, met him once very briefly backstage before a show in Philadelphia in 2006, and I'm pretty sure that I have every song he has ever released, including 'Fantasies and Delusions' which is his sole classical piano recording.

I just think he's a genius, and an amazingly electric performer for somebody who basically just sits down at a piano for most of the show, he still projects himself to his audience, and he has written some of the most moving and uplifting songs known to me... if I ever make the mistake of playing 'Goodnight Saigon' in the car, and listening too closely to the lyrics, not only does it buck the notion that grown men never cry, but it also by the 3rd verse becomes a distinctly dangerous situation for any passengers and pedestrians!

Of course he's originally from The Bronx, and his music over the years has become pretty synonymous with the city of New York in much the same way that Springsteen is so closely identified with New Jersey, and his songs to me hit many of the same spots as Springsteen lyrically, most of us at various times have either worked a job we hate, or fallen in love, or been proud of who we are and where we came from, sometimes all three at the same time, and BJ writes for people like that. Some of his stuff is obviously less profound, and is just out and out great pop music fun, which explains why he's had 60 chart hits and sold over 150 million records, I think about #15 on the all time list.

Anyway, here's just a few of BJ's greatest tracks, though there are at least a couple hundred more great Billy Joel songs that are equally deserving...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online