1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Billy Joel (Official Thread)

Discussion in '70's Music' started by Sweaty, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Nololob

Nololob Long Live Wock 'n' Woll

I guess not a lot of you knows Billy was a member of hard rock band back in 1970. Really? Yes!

[​IMG]

Critics described it as "one of the worst rock album of all time". I say **** them, they know nothing. I liked this project! :D

:grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  2. eberg15101

eberg15101 Senior Member

I didn't like any of those songs that you posted, it sounded more like something Santana would've been a part of, IMO:heheh:

Certainly different for Billy though..

here's one that I've been into lately, from Turnstiles, but it's the live version from Songs In the Attic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Say goodbye to Hollywood

:grinthumb

3. stepcousin

stepcousin stuck in the 70's

I grew up listening to the '77-'83 era alot, especially on the radio. Didnt care for much aftere that. The only song from the early to mid 70's I ever heard was Piano Man. The last few years I have aquired his early albums and I've come to realize that he is an incredible storyteller with his songs.

4. Rockperson

Rockperson Senior Member

An Innocent Man is one of my all time favourite albums :grinthumb

5. Cosmic Harmony

Cosmic Harmony Senior Member

As of today I think I can officially say (not that it really matters) that "52nd Street" is my favorite Billy Joel album...

[​IMG]

And one of my favorites from that album as well as Billy's best non singles is the positively grand "Until The Night".

Billy makes full use of his vocal range, the music is tremendous, especially in the choruses, and it's a really touching song.

6. runningshoes

runningshoes Great White North

Same here.

My favourites from 52nd Street are Zanzibar and Rosalinda's Eyes.

7. Cosmic Harmony

Cosmic Harmony Senior Member

I'm not huge on "Rosalinda's Eyes" when stacked up to the rest of the album myself, Runningshoes. Don't get me wrong, I like its cool, calypso-ish vibe but it's just the song I like the least on "52nd Street".

8. runningshoes

runningshoes Great White North

I didn't really like it when I first heard it, but it really grew on me. Now I'd have to put it in my top five Billy songs. It's very underrated.

Love this one from The Stranger as well.

9. ANF

ANF Senior Member

Always enjoyed his music since childhood. Glass Houses is my sentimental favorite (my dad had the cassette and we listened to it in his truck until the tape was eaten) although The Stranger is probably the best IMO. Either way, that run from Turnstiles to The Nylon Curtain was amazing. A lot of people are hard on him, but he does get the last laugh with all the $$$$ he still makes touring. I do think it is time he gets out of his self-imposed retirement because I think he still has a great album left in him.

10. eberg15101

eberg15101 Senior Member

Runningshoes posted the song Stiletto a bit earlier and it made me listen to 52nd street again.. Stiletto is an awesome song, and here's a cool live version:grinthumb

and "Captan Jack" because I feel like it:D

:phones: