Biggest Female Rock Star of All Time?

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
I think Tina Turner takes the title. She's known as "The Queen of Rock 'n' Roll" for a reason.

Who would you say deserves the title?

Tina Turner is a much better choice than Janis "freaking" Joplin. I don't care much for her 1980's work but her earlier output with Ike indeed rocks.

Reaction score
If we use the term "rock star" generically I'd say Aretha Franklin. If we're going with just rock music itself, then its Janis Joplin.

Last edited:

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
Janis Joplin wasn't around long enough to be the queen of anything. And if Pat Benatar is the correct answer, she's the most mediocre queen I've ever heard of, anywhere.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
The Fonz liked this chick:

Sit on it, Potsie.

Seriously, there's really no way to come up with one name. The only way to do that would be to come up with a set list of criteria, and I doubt people could even agree on what that criteria should be.

Some people have a less stringent idea of what 'rock' is, so they'll include some women other people wouldn't.

Some people think longevity is more important than content.

Some feel influence on future artists is more important than either longevity or content.

For some, it all starts and ends with sales.

Personally, now that I think about it, I don't own any more than one or two albums by any female artist I consider to be rock.
Don't know why that is.

I have all Avril's stuff, and she has some cuts that rock, but she's not rock, she's pop.

Strangely enough, thanks to the Missus turning me on to it, I have a bunch of country/pop women cds. Probably 6-7 Mary Chapin-Carpenter alone.

At the end of the day, and this long winded post (Pooh's Blustery Day has nothing on me), my favorite(s) come down to two. Pat & Joan.

Last edited:

ANTHEM

Reaction score
Grace slick I believe is the most famous AND the best.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online