Best album of 1967

Slowhand

Reaction score
The-Doors-Debut-Album.jpg

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
The opener, Sgt Pepper, is gonna be a hard one to beat, bearing in mind some, including myself, view it as one of the best albums of all time. However, this was the beginning of a golden era for 'The Album' and I'm putting this one up there, one of my favourites from Dylan.

2eg9wg9.jpg

JimJam

Reaction score
Great year for albums. For me, the favorites are a toss-up between Are You Experienced and The Velvet Underground and Nico.

Sgt. Pepper is the landmark and deserves the status but i find myself listening more often to Magical Mystery Tour.

As follow-ups go, Axis: Bold As Love is epic. The Doors and Dead's debut albums i love, as well as the Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow, by far my favorite of their albums. The Who's Sell Out is under-appreciated. Zappa/Mothers also released my favorite of theirs, Absolutely Free. And when i'm in a wacky mood i enjoy Zappa's solo album, Lumpy Gravy.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score

Attachments

• Sgt__Pepper's_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band.jpg
    Sgt__Pepper's_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Sick Of The Sgt.

I just don't get it, I really don't. Why does EVERYONE, since the day it released, hail Peppers as this undeniable opus of rock music? I know we're talking 67 and all, but it's not even the best concept album of all time, if you really want to call it that. Dark Side is so much more deep and concise, it has so much more intellect and variation. That's the one album that I feel just trounces this ****ing golden child of an LP that everyone drools over. Jesus Christ. I mean Revolver and the two subsequent albums are fantastic, why Peppers? Pet Sounds bests it too in my opinion. On the matter at hand, though, I don't know. I think 67 was objectively the greatest album year of all time. The Doors, Hendrix, Peppers, Floyd, Cream, Velvet, Zappa, I mean the list just goes ON and ON, maybe The Doors out of personal taste?

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I just don't get it, I really don't. Why does EVERYONE, since the day it released, hail Peppers as this undeniable opus of rock music? I know we're talking 67 and all, but it's not even the best concept album of all time, if you really want to call it that. Dark Side is so much more deep and concise, it has so much more intellect and variation. That's the one album that I feel just trounces this ****ing golden child of an LP that everyone drools over. Jesus Christ. I mean Revolver and the two subsequent albums are fantastic, why Peppers? Pet Sounds bests it too in my opinion. On the matter at hand, though, I don't know. I think 67 was objectively the greatest album year of all time. The Doors, Hendrix, Peppers, Floyd, Cream, Velvet, Zappa, I mean the list just goes ON and ON, maybe The Doors out of personal taste?

I'll agree with you that 'Dark Side' is better than 'Sgt Pepper', but that came 6 years later! With that album The Beatles opened a door for all other musicians and writers to step through. Also Brian Wilson was heavily influenced by it, and by The Beatles in general, as he has been quoted many times.

Reaction score
I'll agree with you that 'Dark Side' is better than 'Sgt Pepper', but that came 6 years later! With that album The Beatles opened a door for all other musicians and writers to step through. Also Brian Wilson was heavily influenced by it, and by The Beatles in general, as he has been quoted many times.

Yea, I know it came 6 years later, but that doesn't stop everyone from boasting about how superior it is conceptually and musically than everything that came befor and after it, as if it was some artistic peak. Wilson was mostly influenced by Rubber Soul, that was the influence the Beatles had on Pet Sounds. Revolver and Peppers influenced Smile, which, I prefer over Peppers. I refuse to believe that Peppers is as influential as everyone says that it is. People were heading in an experimental direction regardless of what the Beatles were doing. Is it a great album? Yes, but not to the degree it's acclaimed. Now if Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields had been on it and you took off say the god awful Mr. Kite and Good Morning, I'd probably agree

Britters

Feed Your Head
Reaction score
Surrealistic Pillow- Jefferson Airplane
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn- Pink Floyd
Disraeli Gears- Cream
Between The Buttons- The Rolling Stones
Magical Mystery Tour- The Beatles
Buffalo Springfield Again- Buffalo Springfield
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band- The Beatles
Younger Than Yesterday- The Byrds
Days Of Future Passed- The Moody Blues