Are Lyrics Important?

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
Depends on the song. If the lyrics to "Imagine", for example, were lame and unmoving, "Imagine" would be a nothing song.

They are lame and unmoving and I usually don't care that much about lyrics. What others see as deep in "Imagine", I see as completely trite. And the rhyme scheme stinks too.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I'm in basic agreement with Troggy. There's nothing deep in "Imagine" and as a general rule I sure as hell don't go to rock songs for meaningful insights into the human condition. I've said it before and I'll say it again "Oh shut up and play".

:drums:

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
They are lame and unmoving and I usually don't care that much about lyrics. What others see as deep in "Imagine", I see as completely trite. And the rhyme scheme stinks too.

I'm in basic agreement with Troggy. There's nothing deep in "Imagine" and as a general rule I sure as hell don't go to rock songs for meaningful insights into the human condition. I've said it before and I'll say it again "Oh shut up and play".

:drums:

The point with my original post is that, for songs like "Imagine", they wouldn't be written, let alone released, if the lyrics described a race between a hare and a turtle, for instance. As it has lyrics that have meaning to the artist, however, they do get released and the public can relate to it etc.

As for the "Shut up and play" mentality, there's lots I could say on that, but I might do that in a new thread, rather than highjack this one :drummin:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
TheFeldster wrote:

Depends on the song. If the lyrics to "Imagine", for example, were lame and unmoving, "Imagine" would be a nothing song.

However, some of the worst lyrics are in great tunes, and they are listenable as well.

As long as the instruments are doing their thing, the lyrics are secondary to me.

I'd agree with that because some songs the Lyrics play a lesser role - but like by the time the 60s came around people were writing songs with meaning - Rock 'n' Roll songs like "Rock Around The Clock" don't have any meaning to them - their merely party songs that people would jump around to. But with groups like The Byrds - David Crosby once said that they wanted songs with meaning. Though when Psychedelic came in Lyrics became a more obscured with more instrumentation or a Moog synthesizer.

A song like "Imagine" though is a song which was written for the time - it's still a song which has relevance for today, but it's a song which asks questions - just like Dylans "Blowin' in the Wind", which I just found out the other week worked out what it was about, so lyrics are extremely important for a song like "Imagine" because there isn't much else to go with it! :wtf: Another song with a strong meaning is "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", in that song if your talking about the version the Animals produced, music and lyrics play a significant role - the music provides atmosphere and guidelines for the lyrics, so in that case Lyrics are important because the writer wanted to express their views as only being Human and emotional.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I think it depends on the artist as well as the listener. For me, I get MORE into the music and melody than I do into the Lyrics. There are a bazillion songs out there that I love and maybe 1/4 of them do I even know the lyrics to. Good lyrics are very subjective (IMHO). I get more feel and emotion from the music.

Jm2cW

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
For me, on any given song, I can enjoy the lyrics and the melody equally or focus on one or the other individually and take either on it's own merits. Of course tunes can be built around a lyric, others around the melody so there are instances where one completes the song. For example, the excellent Wouldn't It Be Nice by the Beach Boys. The lyrics carrie that song prominently. Hot Rod Lincoln by Commander Cody as well.

I can enjoy a song like Blackbird by The Beatles - well Paul anyway, enormously. As a whole or as an instrumental. I've also heard Blackbird performed as a jazz instrumental which sounded great. I'm happy to hear it either way.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online