Are Lyrics Important?

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score
I think so, yes. The lyrics are what paints the picture of the song, whereas the music sets the mood. It's like a movie when you combine the two. With bad lyrics, the picture just comes out ugly :p Though, any lyrics can sound good if sung in the right way...

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Depends on the song. If the lyrics to "Imagine", for example, were lame and unmoving, "Imagine" would be a nothing song.

However, some of the worst lyrics are in great tunes, and they are listenable as well.

As long as the instruments are doing their thing, the lyrics are secondary to me.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Music first, lyrics second.

Although lyrics are indeed important, it's much easier to get by without them than without any music! :tongue:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
No not really...if it flows with the music it's good.

I'll participate in threads like "Worst Lyrics" but it's all in fun and for entertainment purposes.

I don't worry about crap like that..the song can have the mentality of Jack & Jill or be as complex or confusing as the Bible...as long as I relate to it I'm rockin'.

:grinthumb

Last edited:

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Lyrics are important only that they have to be well-amalgamated with the music (notes) and that means GOOD arrangements!! Don Costa, one of the world's most renowned arrangers (he arranged many of Frank Sinatra's tunes) said that the arrangements make the diff in a song....he was dead right :):)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Lyrics are important only that they have to be well-amalgamated with the music (notes) and that means GOOD arrangements!! Don Costa, one of the world's most renowned arrangers (he arranged many of Frank Sinatra's tunes) said that the arrangements make the diff in a song....he was dead right :):)

Agreed, as I pointed out above, "if it flows with the music it's good"

This is what I was getting at. :grinthumb

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
You can certainly have a good song without great lyrics. But to me, a song where some reflection has gone into the lyrics is more interesting. It's all personal preference though.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Well it's 1,2,3 O'clock 4 'Oclock Rock

5,6,7 O'clock 8 O'clock Rock

9,10,11 O'clock 12 O'clock Rock

We're gonna rock around the clock tonight!

:dance:

Bill-Haley-Comets_l.png

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Coming from a listener who loves a song he can relate to and feel, if lyrics were the end all be all I wouldn't touch this song with a ten inch poll! I love it and I definitely feel some presence from it regardless of the made up hobbledygook language and sounds!

Sigur Ros-Saeglopur

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Coming from a listener who loves a song he can relate to and feel, if lyrics were the end all be all I wouldn't touch this song with a ten inch poll! I love it and I definitely feel some presence from it regardless of the made up hobbledygook language and sounds!

Sigur Ros-Saeglopur

I've been slowly getting into these guys for awhile now. A few friends know my enthusiasm as well as a few that don't share it. :wa:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online