Allman Brothers Band (Official Thread)

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score
Re: Allman Brothers Band

:bow: Awesome Thread Groovy Man!

~In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed~

The song is named after a headstone Betts saw at the Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, Georgia, a place frequented by band members in their early days for relaxing and writing songs. Considerable legend has developed about what Betts was doing at the time, some originated by a possibly put on interview Duane Allman gave Rolling Stone. The cemetery was later memorialized by the band as the final resting spot of both band leader Duane Allman and bassist Berry Oakley.

Allman Brothers

Elizabeth Reed`s memorial @ Find A Grave

Dickey and Duane Betts

Berry Oakley died as a result of injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident about a mile away from where Duane Allman was killed thirteen months earlier in a motorcycle accident.

Duane and Berry were laid to rest side by side at Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, GA.

Duane on the left and Berry on the right.

I am a contributor at Find A Grave.

Duane Allman`s memorial @ Find A Grave

Berry Oakley`s memorial @ Find A Grave

There is a lot of history and love involved in this band!

"To brighten the future we must illuminate the past."

Last edited by a moderator:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

^ excellent post Garrett! :grinthumb

:cheers2

"Dangerous" Dan Toler and Dickey Betts ''pickin' it'' in some hotel room on the road....

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

This is Dickey Betts calling.....

"Dangerous Dan Toler"

Dan reflects on his spectacular career in music.....

In late 1975 I was living in St. Petersburg, Florida and making three-dollars a night playing for the door. Two guys from the band I was playing with got a call from Dickey Betts and went to join him to start the Dickey Betts and Great Southern Band. They said he was looking for a guitar player and that they would try to get me an audition. I didn't feel I had a chance at an audition, let alone the gig. But a few days later, I was coming in from the pool and the phone was ringing from a booth just outside our apartment door, it kept ringing and ringing. Finally I'd had enough and answered it. A voice on the other end said, "I am looking for Dan Toler, this is Dickey Betts calling" and I said "yeah right" and hung up the phone. Fortunately, he called back. We talked for a while and during the conversation, he offered to fly me to Macon, Georgia for a look see.

I gave 'em my best stuff at the audition and it must've paid off because a few days later, I was part of the band. Over the next few years I played with Dickey and the band on two Great Southern records, "Dangerous" and "Atlanta's Burning Down". In 1979 the Allman Brothers Band was auditioning players in Macon at the Capricorn Records Picnic. I was asked to play. When I got home the next day Dickey called me and said they wanted to make me be an Allman Brother.

By Dan Toler Dan`s Full Bio

DT News and Reviews

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score

Great band, the pioneers of 70's southern blues rock.

E-Z

Reaction score

THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND were cool i actually liked there WIN, LOSE OR DRAW album especially the tracks AIN'T WASTING TIME NO MORE & HIGHFALLS also Gregg's voice/vocals in the 1970s were fabulous really FABULOUS.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND were cool i actually liked there WIN, LOOSE OR DRAW album especially the tracks AIN'T WASTING TIME NO MORE & HIGHFALLS also Gregg's voice/vocals in the 1970s were fabulous really FABULOUS.

Yes! nice to see an Allmans fan mention ''Win, Loose Or Draw'' - not their best album - but a good one - that captures a sometimes forgotten period in the Allmans history.

I've always like the ''High Falls'' jam and ''Louisiana Lou and Three Card Monty John'', ''Nevertheless'', etc...

And the live verson ''Can't Lose What You Never Had'' from ''Wipe the Windows, Check the Oil, Dollar Gas'' is excellent - a great solo by Dickey Betts towards the end...

The ''Win, Lose or Draw'' period of the Allmans is a sometimes times overlooked - maybe because they were running out of gas a bit - BUT still - a lot of real good music came from this period.

:cheers2

E-Z

Reaction score

Yeah i havan't heard WIN, LOSE OR DRAW for over 10 years and yes those other tracks that you mention i had forgotten the track listing on that album, the track CAN'T LOSE WHAT YOU NEVER HAD is a Muddy Waters song i believe?

Yes not considered one of the ALLMAN'S better albums but i've always kind of liked it and the live album WIPE THE WINDOWS, CHECK THE OIL, DOLLAR GAS is a good live abum as well as you mention :)

Hey you guy's are American's well i'm British i would just like to say hello to all my American ROCK & ROLL cousin's :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online