Ace Frehley VS KISS

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

Ace Frehley Calls Kiss ‘A Bunch of Dirty Rotten Whores’

Former Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley is certainly not pulling any punches in his new autobiography ‘No Regrets,’ labeling today’s version of the band ‘a bunch of dirty rotten whores’ and detailing several incidents that led to his second departure from the group.

Frehley contends that founding and remaining band members Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons have tried to rewrite history by downplaying his contributions to the band. He takes particular umbrage to the band having former road manager Tommy Thayer take over his “Spaceman” character: “My first reaction was, ‘Isn’t anything sacred to those guys?’ But I soon realized their lust for money outweighed any sense of fairness or logic on their part.”

He also reveals that he once decked Thayer backstage when the manager requested that Ace ask his girlfriend to leave the band’s dressing rooms, in violation of a “no wives or girlfriends” rule that Frehley contends was violated several times prior by other band members.

But the most venomous statements are saved for Simmons’ alleged actions towards Ace’s daughter Monique, who flew across the country to film a bit part in the Kiss-themed movie ‘Detroit Rock City,’ only to break down in tears when she found out her part had been cut.

“I knew it wasn’t an accident,” Ace explains. “Gene had been involved in the editing process on a daily basis…(he) was probably pissed at me for something I had done, but to get back at me by hurting my daughter?” He goes on to say that he never felt the same about the bassist after that — “He had reached an all-time low with me.”

Still, Ace says when he thinks back on Kiss he “can’t help but remember all the fun we shared in our formative years.” He also credits his sobriety (five years and counting!) for helping him realize, “At this point in my life, I just need to let things go,” but he does have final words for his former bandmates: “What comes around, goes around.”

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Ace says when he thinks back on Kiss he “can’t help but remember all the fun we shared in our formative years.”

Kiss went downhill after Ace Frehley, left, quit or got booted...

Actually, even a little before that....when they aimed their music at young teens and preteens....

The early years of Kiss, they were a bad ass rock band.

Travelin' Man

Reaction score
Kiss went downhill after Ace Frehley, left, quit or got booted...

Actually, even a little before that....when they aimed their music at young teens and preteens....

The early years of Kiss, they were a bad ass rock band.

I'm with you, Groovy. Ace and Peter have always been my favorite band members. Between 1976 and 2000, I've seen KISS 5 times, each time with the original line-up.

With all due respect to the talents of the replacement members, they just aren't the KISS that I grew up to and grew to love.

I've become so disillusioned with Gene and Paul (and their blatant/sickening money lust) over the years that I don't even follow them anymore. The fact that there is now an Old Navy commercial that uses the melody to Rock and Roll All Nite is an even sadder, more pathetic testament to what was already sad and pathetic.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I'm with you, Groovy. Ace and Peter have always been my favorite band members. Between 1976 and 2000, I've seen KISS 5 times, each time with the original line-up.

Travelin' Man, I never saw Kiss, during the glory years (lucky you - must of been wild!) but seen them in 1996 for the Destroyer/Reunion tour...the first time Kiss performed with Ace and Peter since the 70's - and it was friggin' amazing - visually and more importantly, musically. It was awesome - they probably could of made anyone a believer from a non believer, that tour - they were that good!

Nowadays, Kiss is just a show - with no magic, imo.

Also seen them twice, after that, with the original members.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I like KISS now ok enough, and the shows are 1,000 times more eye dazzling and theatrical!

But TBH, I can't disagree with Groovy or T. Man here. I love the magic I feel, when I think back to the original

KISS years. Alot of our younger members, should have experienced the excitement of KISS in the 70's.

Those "4" guys had character and chemistry like no other and were something else. :uh:

They were a HUGE part of the 70's as well as a great band and impact.

"Rollin Numbers Rock And Rollin', Got My KISS Records Out"

Cheap Trick ~ Surrender 1978

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ace is saying these things to get people to buy his book.I guess he isn't into money these days so his book will be free? Man I hate these musicians who leave bands then complain cos the band continues successfully without them.

He is a miserable person,who has thrown away being in one of the biggest rock bands in the planet not once but twice! He is an alcoholic and a drug user who blames everyone else for his problems but himself. He made millions from 1996-2001 with KISS,yes millions was drank away or went up his nose,his solo career is finished cos record companies won't touch him and he can barely sell out bowling alley's anymore.

Gene's fault? Paul's fault? Tommy's fault?

BTW-I still enjoy the music he made with KISS.

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
You make some good points there 70's Guy no doubt. I think his wilder personality, even back then, made it a good mix between the likes of him and Gene.

I will be fair and say that even though he's always been one of the two wild ones, I liked his crazy personality back in the 70's more than say 99-2000...where he came off sluggish.

:uh:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Well I thought Tommy was Ace's stand in for the times he was so drunk he couldn't play.. Also having a drinking problem I'm sure was hard for Paul and Gene to deal with since neither indulge.
Either way..The original members to me was what KISS was all about.. A real shame they have to use books to wage wars with other members..
Maybe one day all this will get smoothed out between them..

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craqdi

Members online

No members online now.