5 bands that deserve to play the Superbowl instead of Madonna

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Didn't care for the halftime show at all. I would prefer Madonna sing live not pre-recorded. At least she didn't try to sing with her "British" accent.:rolleyes: And the only reason Cee-lo Green was there was to remind everybody that The Voice was coming on after the Super Bowl. Otherwise that no-talent gnome wouldn't have been there.

Syd

Reaction score
I liked Madonna's show. Having all those VIP guests like Cee-Lo and Nicki Minaj was great. And the drum band was also cool. But it's just so fake when you lipsync and stuff. That makes her immediately replaceable. Any other person could have been in her position, even me. I even dance better than her. I think it's much better when you do your own singing, playing instruments, etc. Not when you have it recorded.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
This thread is funny. I'm glad I didn't return to a Madge hatefest. :heheh:

I don't care what people say. She did a sensational job and kept the show classy, which is contrary to what people were thinking was going to happen since she can be quite controversial. She kept true to her promise to keep the show clean (except for that reject MIA flipping the bird) and she really turned out an absolutely incredible, dynamic and entertaining show! The reviews I have read so far have generally been favorable and the only complaints are over the bird flipping. I will admit that, as a superfan of hers, I was a little hesitant to see what the end result would be. I would have hated to see her give something for the haters to dwell on but she didn't give them much. The crowd loved it too which was the biggest surprise to me! :grinthumb

I absolutely loved her setlist too! Starting with "Vogue"? Genius. I could have down without "Music" though. She should have done something from Ray of Light but then again those tunes aren't as "poppy" as casual fans who would watch that sort of thing would expect from her. And the "Like a Prayer" bit at the end was absolutely stunning. Loved every minute of it it is one of her most iconic tunes and definitely Super Bowl worthy in ever regard.

I also think that the "haters" need to realize that trying to set a pop act to the same standards as a rock act in terms of live performances is unfair and nonsensical. The music, dancing, whole stage act is a packaged deal with a pop act, whereas with rock acts it's solely about the artistry of the music. This is not something new to pop music. It has been done for years and years and will never change and the same things that Gaga and Madonna are criticized for seem to be O.K. for Elton John and bands like Pink Floyd (who use props) to do. :rolleyes:

Most importantly... FOOTBALL IS OVER! Woohooo! :heheh:

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Trouble is I think within the context of a forum like this is that there is some misguided expectation and belief that a thing like the Super Bowl half time show should be aimed exclusively at an audience of 'rock music' fans....who probably these days represent only maybe 10% of the entire record buying/concert going public worldwide...so the idea of presenting a purely pop act with a genuinely global appeal, and somebody who is a household name in pretty much every country on earth (such as Madonna) is anathema to most 'rock' music purists, which I can understand to some extent. I bet if somebody ran a poll on CRF asking who should play at the Opening Ceremony of the London Olympics next summer....Beyonce Knowles or Van der Graaf Generator, Beyonce would get like 3 votes.

Btw I forget who said it, it doesn't really matter, but I recall somebody saying something about Madonna “scaring the kids” last Sunday, but then at the same time people were nominating Kiss and Gene Simmons as being more suitable to do the half time show, which I thought was pretty funny...

gene-simmons.jpg

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Trouble is I think within the context of a forum like this is that there is some misguided expectation and belief that a thing like the Super Bowl half time show should be aimed exclusively at an audience of 'rock music' fans....who probably these days represent only maybe 10% of the entire record buying/concert going public worldwide...so the idea of presenting a purely pop act with a genuinely global appeal, and somebody who is a household name in pretty much every country on earth (such as Madonna) is anathema to most 'rock' music purists, which I can understand to some extent. I bet if somebody ran a poll on CRF asking who should play at the Opening Ceremony of the London Olympics next summer....Beyonce Knowles or Van der Graaf Generator, Beyonce would get like 3 votes.

Btw I forget who said it, doesn't really matter, but I recall somebody saying something about Madonna “scaring the kids” last Sunday, and then they nominated Kiss and Gene Simmons as being more suitable to do the show!!...

gene-simmons.jpg

:bow: :oy: :mp:

I saw the Madonna set...I thought it was pretty cool.

I find it funny that she would be upset at MIA...that's a bit strange. :heheh:

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Now that is odd. There's at least one video she made in the past of her simulating performing fellatio, now suddenly she's Mother Theresa of Calcutta...

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah and THAT is really the only thing that bugs me....I don't think there was a TV appearance or a video made where she didn't push people's buttons.

A middle finger....OOOOOHHHHHHHH!!! :pullhair:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
For me, it all comes down to what I PREFER. I know exactly what Madonna is. A pop star that has props and back up dancers. I prefer not to see that. I prefer someone that will get up there and sing and play music that I like. Also, from what I know of Madonna, I don't really like her. She is the queen of shock, she's outspoken in a negative way about other artists and she uses a fake British accent, but only sometimes. The other times she forgets to use it. :D I understand that other people like her and enjoyed the show and the reviews are split on people liking/disliking her performance (so all this talk of Madonna and the Super Bowl goes beyond the context of this forum). But I PREFER to see someone that I enjoy. That's all there is to it...preference.

Again I will say that she looked great. And the set was gorgeous (I wonder what that cost), albeit unnecessary. I say, let's go back to the marching bands at halftime! :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online

No members online now.