40 Bands not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I would say at least 25 of the artists mentioned in the OP first post don't belong in the hall IMO.

Compared to some who are already in the damnable HOF I would rate all 40 bands in Trekkie's OP ahead of them.

It just puts it all in perspective how completely useless and embarrassing the parameters are for who the Elitists put in the Hall of Shame...;)

joe

Reaction score
I'll name them. I have to do a few things first. You know, choirs.:mad

joe

Reaction score
Here's my list of artists from the OPs 40 that should not be in the R'n'R Hall Of Fame. I'll try and be most objective. Let me say this all IMO so don't get too upset as I have enough people mad at me here.:D

1. The Doobie Bros.: had some excellent songs and a compilation is almost must. Thier albums weren't very strong IMO with the exception of The Captain And Me.

2.Joe Cocker: Most noted for his performance at Woodstock and has had a long career and was at the hieght in the late '60/early 70's. Mad Dogs And Englishman being his most notable album. A few cover hits.

3.Peter Frampton: does one album get you into the hall? IMO, it shouldn't.

4.Heart: excellent hard rock singles from the mid/late 70's. Most albums from this time period had a few good tracks on them, but overall, not very strong. They also had a resurgence in the mid 80's. Ann and Nancy are great vocalists...but.

5.Foriegner: Four AOR albums from the late 70'/early 80's that were big with quite a few singles. No. Journey was bigger at the same time with somewhat the same contemporary sound and should be in the hall even though I don't like thier music.

6.Steve Miller: started as a blues/psycher and had a couple excellent albums in the late 60's with a couple of great singles and latter went to more contemporary rock/pop sound of the mid 70's with some superb songs and two excellent albums from the mid 70's. Doesn't get in on those merits.

7.Cheap Trick: Were huge in the late'70's/early '80's. Close but not close enough.

8.Bad Company: great band. If it was a Free/Bad Co. combination I would say yes, but Bad Co. alone, no.

9.Joan Jett: The Runaways were a pretty good darn band. Joan Jett had a two or three good albums and a couple of hits with "I Love R'n'R" being huge. Great rock song. Not enough.

10.Warren Zevon: Very talented. One big hit. No.

11.Todd Rundgren: I'm a big fan. His first band, Nazz had two good garage/psych albums from the '60's and then he went solo and produced the classic, Something/Anything. Had some great singles as well as being a fantastic producer. Close, but no.

12.Johnny Ace: A short career due to playing a game of russian roulette. No.

13.George Thorogood And The Destroyers: I saw him live and he was one of the sloppiest guitaritst I've seen. There is better guitarists "at a local blues club on a Saturday night."

14.Screamin' Jay Hawkins: influential but really nothing more than that. Had some excellent songs way back when.

15.Red Hot Chili Peppers: fathers of funk metal. Probably get in on that. Ground breaking. Some fantastic material. Close but I wouldn't put them in...yet.

16.Depeche Mode: not a fan at all. Synth pop/electro pop/club dance. They were huge in the wave of the UK new romantic sound. Close.

17.Pantera: two excellent albums and a great guitarist and was the counture-culture of the hair/glam/pop/bubblegum metal of that time. Close.

18.Hall And Oates: no.

19.Three Dog Night: A great string of singles for a number of years. A band that has really been forgotten. No.

20.The Pogues: modern Celtic/folk rock from the '80's. Talented, but no.

21. The Cars: Three good albums shouldn't get you into the hall of fame.

I thought it was around 25. Close enough.:D

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
3.Peter Frampton: does one album get you into the hall? IMO, it shouldn't.
worked for the sappy and crappy Sex Pistols. Worked for for Ritchie Vallens. I'm not going to go through the rest of the list, but I'm sure there are more. Of course, a couple of wrongs don't make a right, right?

21. The Cars: Three good albums shouldn't get you into the hall of fame.
Heh, don't get me started on this one, I could name a few wrongs on this one as well, but I wont. Same premise as above.

:tongue:

(and yeah, I agree with you on both counts)

Hardnecker

Reaction score
I'll go to bat for Journey. Two of the best ever at their crafts, Steve Perry on vocals and Neal Schon on public saxophone. Gold and platinum records and even one on the diamond list. Sold out shows. Even their last album of new material went platinum in an era music piracy. Should of went in the first year of eligibility. One of the great American bands ever.

Reddy4u2

Reaction score
This thread is how I found this forum.

Journey!!!! So many people think that their only good song is Don't Stop Believin. Almost all of their songs are great. I went to the rock hall last week on a field trip and seeing the bands they do have there, I couldn't believe Journey wasn't there :(

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
OK, I'll say it: The Monkees should be in. They had three #1 singles and four #1 albums. In 1967 they were the biggest selling act of the year (outselling the Beatles and the Stones combined). Every pop act to come down the pike since them, from the Bay City Rollers to the Jonas Brothers, owe them a tip of the hat. Their hits are still heard on oldies radio everyday. Their songs are used on TV shows and movies. No less a "Rolling Stone" honk than Cameron Crowe used "The Porpoise Song" in his film "Vanilla Sky". The Sex Pistols who, let's face it, were every bit as prefabricated , had the good humor to admit it by covering "(I'm not your) Stepping Stone". And I haven't even mentioned their Emmy winning TV series or their cult classic film "Head". If you're going to penalize them for not playing the instruments on some of their songs, then how are the Beach Boys and the Byrds in the Hall? And while we're on the subject, how did Percy Sledge get in? I love "When a Man Loves a Woman", but, come on, it's one song!

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online