20 Years since Kurt Cobain's death

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Here is an MTV special news bulletin from when it happened:

Where were you? How old were you when it happened?

I was 15 and still living in India with my parents. My musical taste had just started shifting from Top 20 pop music to contemporary rock and grunge. I don't even remember exactly what I was doing when his death was announced. But pretty soon I think I had found out that yet another rock star was gone at the prime age of 27.

queenkrule

Reaction score
I wasn't born yet when he died but I had gotten into Nirvana's music at about age 14 and then discovered how and when he died and was absolutely devastated. What a legend.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
His passing is sadder to me in hindsight than it was at the time. I was 29 when it happened and the whole grunge thing was for those much younger than me. Plus a lot of commentators were comparing his death to John Lennon's and I took great offense to that. How can you compare someone being murdered in cold blood to someone who chooses suicide? But listening to his music a bit more and understanding what he was suffering with personally, I certainly have more empathy for the situation now and I guess to a lot of younger people he was what Lennon was to my generation.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Plus a lot of commentators were comparing his death to John Lennon's and I took great offense to that. How can you compare someone being murdered in cold blood to someone who chooses suicide?

I took MAJOR offense to that as well ... and still do. The pedistal some have put this guy on sickens me. It's bad enough when people die due to a lifestyle of excess (Hendrix, Morrison, Bonham, Bon Scott, et all) or stupidity (Randy Rhoads in an avoidable airplane accident, Razzle, etc), but when some selfish asshole takes his own life, that pedistal should be dismantled.

Where was I when I heard about it, I honestly don't remember. I was in my mid-20's. One thing that I do remember is that I felt zero remorse other than I felt bad for his daughter because this asshole murdered her father.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Yeah I don't necessarily feel sympathy for him. But I don't know all the facts either. Apparently he was suffering from depression as well as a stomach ailment (which he sings about on 'Pennyroyal Tea' off of In Utero). Of course, suicide is not the answer but we don't really know anything unless we walk in the person's shoes. And of course there is that conspiracy theory that Courtney Love murdered him! ;)

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I see now that this was already being discussed in the Nirvana thread. Sorry, didn't see it before. Magic or LG, feel free to merge this thread with the Nirvana thread if necessary.

bohohippybeatnic

Reaction score
Suicide is ALWAYS a selfish choice. But that doesn't mean that there wasn't a reason behind it. He had alot of problems. I'm not trying to justify it. I'm just saying "Ye who has not sinned cast the first stone".

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I see now that this was already being discussed in the Nirvana thread. Sorry, didn't see it before. Magic or LG, feel free to merge this thread with the Nirvana thread if necessary.

No worries MW, from what I've seen over the years you can never have enough Cobain/Nirvana discussions so I'll leave this one where it is...:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaldoFrey

Members online

No members online now.