Your Top 10 Classical Composers

StarThrower

Reaction score
I encourage listeners to seek out some Schnittke. An incredibly talented and imaginative Russian composer living from 1934-1998. A modernist who chose to work within established forms of the symphony and concerto. He had a healthy sense of humor and was known for quoting excerpts from famous classical pieces accompanied by crashing dissonance. I recommend symphony no. 1, and concerto for piano and strings. You can find many of his works on YouTube. Most of his work is represented on CD by the Swedish BIS label, and also on Chandos. A very fine recording of the concerto for piano and strings is available very cheap from the Apex label. There is also a good recording of his 1st cello concerto on Naxos. The late great Rostropovich recorded the 2nd cello concerto for Sony, also available at a budget price. His string quartets are very satisfying as well. I'm partial to no. 3.

Some other 20th century tonal composers who write exciting music are Hans Werner Henze born 1926, Aulis Sallinen born 1936, Per Norgard, and Finnish composer Kalevi Aho. Both Aho and fellow Finn Magnus Lindberg have excellent clarinet concertos. Again, available for listening on YouTube. Composers like Schnittke, and William Schuman wrote both tonal and atonal works. I love Schuman's symphonies, all recorded by the Seattle Symphony for Naxos under the baton of Gerard Schwarz.

I learned about many of these composers on the Talk Classical Forum. A good way to expand your classical listening knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am not into many modernist composers generally speaking StarThrower...but I do try to keep an open mind.

I'll put those recommendations on my list for Schnittke.:mn:

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Here, here! I agree with LG, though I do get quite a lot of exposure to the more modern repertoire StarThrower as my wife is an orchestral musician, and so even if I wanted to avoid it, I've never been able to escape from it when she has been locked away in her study practising for whatever it is they happen to be performing that week. I'm afraid I take the view that a lot of 'modern' classical music is just so inaccessible and self-indulgent that it almost seems to go out of its way to ensure that nobody but a very tiny minority of the huge classical audience enjoys it!....but I quite like composers such as Thomas Ades, Peter Maxwell Davis, John Tavener, Arvo Part...one must keep an open mind with all music.

Two that I dislike strongly are Harrison Birtwistle and Karlheinz Stockhausen...I'll say no more in case they are on your list of favourites!

Nice to have a new member here with so obviously such a passion for classical music, this isn't a busy part of the forum, but there are a few of us who will always chip in if you decide to open up a discussion.

Cheers.

PS. For the record, my Top 10 composers changes as often as the Spring English weather, but the 10 constants who are always there or there abouts are J S Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Shostakovich, Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Sibelius, Haydn, and a less well known English composer called John Ireland, whose 50th Anniversary of his death is being marked this year, and who ought to be as well known and adored as Elgar and RVW...but isn't. I also have a passion for Gilbert and Sullivan.

Last edited:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
In no particular order:

1. Holst
2. Erik Satie
3. Mendelsohn
4. Bruck
5. Shostakovich
6. Aaron Copland
7. Mussorgsky
8. Vaughan Williams
9. Dvorak
10. ?

StarThrower

Reaction score
I don't agree that modern composers go out of their way to ensure that only a tiny minority will enjoy their work. That seems a ludicrous assumption to my mind. I think composers want the audience to enjoy their work.

And there is a huge variety of composers and music written over the past century. Due to the depth, scope, and complexity of this kind of music, it takes more listening effort to absorb the music. For example, when I first started listening to Bartok, much of his music sounded highy abtract and difficult. But after much listening, works like the piano, and orchestra concertos began to reveal more and more details to my ears. And I now love these works.

But alas, it's a matter of taste. I've never been able to enjoy much Mozart or Hydan, and I'm not a fan of the new minimalist composers, so I've got my hearing blocks as well.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
In no particular order:

1. Holst
2. Erik Satie
3. Mendelsohn
4. Bruck
5. Shostakovich
6. Aaron Copland
7. Mussorgsky
8. Vaughan Williams
9. Dvorak
10. ?

Nice list Martin.:hab:

Put Beethoven in the 10 spot...:tup:

StarThrower...I have never been a huge fan of Mozart myself, but I do enjoy a few of his pieces. Haydn, I like him and have quite a few of his works.

When it comes to contemporary composer's from the last century most of my favorites were doing Soundtracks for movies, those I like. Many of the experimental composer's just didn't work for me upon my first listen to their music. Not that I am an expert by any means.

Bartok is a great composer, the only piece I find really hard to listen to are his violin concertos. His Concerto for Orchestra and Music for Celesta...are in my top twenty pieces of all time.:bow:

StarThrower

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree about Bartok. I prefer the orchestra pieces and piano works to the violin concertos, although I must admit to loving the opening to the 2nd violin concerto. The string quartets can be tough going, but I'm hearing more and more details and piecing the puzzles together with repeated listening.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I've done that myself over the years, been patient and listened to music until I finally connected with the composer.

Are you talking about Bela's quartets or Ludwig's?

StarThrower

Reaction score
I was referring the Bartok's quartets. I only recently purchased a set of Beethoven's late quartets, but I haven't listened enough to form any kind of opinion.

This is probably my weakest listening area in classical music. I don't know many string quartets, and the only one I can claim to really love is Schnittke's 3rd by the Borodin Quartet on a Virgin Classical CD.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I'm not much better...:heheh:

But Haydn's first 6 quartets are top shelf...I know them very well.

Beethoven's I haven't digested all the nuances yet but I do enjoy them.

I don't have Bartok's yet...:peek

Perhaps I'll remedy that soon.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online