Your Top 10 Classical Composers

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Interesting that you listed David Munrow there Nololob, I went through a phase of listening to a lot of the early music he recorded with his Early Music Consort a few years ago - Purcell, Dowland, Praetorius, Telemann etc - he was quite a pioneer of the 'early music' revival.
I love his stuff, in fact I own his two LPs. I find early music extremely interesting and yet I don't think there is any band playing medieval rock (apart from Blackmore's Night maybe).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Only a barbarian would do that Khor...:nw:

:heheh:

Khor1255

Reaction score
We are barbarians, we want to be......oh nevermind. I was reaching but yes I am among the great 'unwashed'. Not proud of it (how could you really be?) but in the same night I might listen to Angel Witch, John Denver and Dvorak then if I wake up early have Fats Waller to start the day.

All of those tracks were indulgence with no regard for the listener. It's funny but sometimes that stuff works very well in Blues or even Jazz but in Classical? Usually not so much.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^We have similar taste then, I bounce all over the map when it comes to music artists genres I listen to in a day.

And I was just 'avving some fun with you.;)

StarThrower

Reaction score
Re: 20th century classical. I'm addressing this to The Sound. Why look for examples of music you don't like? It doesn't make much sense. As I already mentioned in an earlier post, there are plenty of 20th century composers who wrote accessible music. You're not limited to atonal works by Webern or Berio.

Why is the 20th different than any other century? Am I to believe one listener is going to enjoy every composer from a previous century? You're obviously not interested in searching out music beyond your comfort zone and that's fine. But don't try to misrepresent a huge body of music with a few YouTube clips.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I think you are being a little unfair ST. TS is away at Loch Lomond with his family right now.

I think he posted those examples to make his point about the style of certain modern composer's music he didn't like, and for that purpose it illustrated his view perfectly.

I'm sure if you asked him if he enjoyed some of the Soundtracks by current composers he would have a few good examples of those as well.

StarThrower

Reaction score
I don't think so, but I thank The Sound for posting those works for people who are able to enjoy them.

If anyone is being unfair it's Khor1255 with his arrogant and sarcastic remarks. There are composers and works I don't particularly care for, but I don't denigrate them on public forums. These are the kind of people who mocked Stravinsky's Rite a century ago. History has proven their attitudes reactionary and shortsighted.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I didn't find Khor's remarks anything but funny myself nothing insulting at all in his post.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online