Your Top 10 Classical Composers

cyggy

Cygnusx1
Reaction score
Nice list gentlemen...I'll have to think about mine for a day or two, but I can post my numero-uno right now.

beethoven-2b_2a.jpg

I think I have over 150 CD's of his now, some are different versions of symphonies etc. but he will always be my favorite.

Great choice friend !

for me :

Beethoven
Mozart
Bach
Mussorgsky
Elgar
Tchaikovsky

still working my way through my box sets :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Me too, I just picked up Barenboim's set of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, but haven't had time to play them.:wa

You've got great taste Cyggy.:bow:

cyggy

Cygnusx1
Reaction score
^^Me too, I just picked up Barenboim's set of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, but haven't had time to play them.:wa

You've got great taste Cyggy.:bow:

Thanks LG , we are about the same age ....... I started off listening to Hendrix and today I had Beethoven on play !

My son plays classical piano and when he gets tired of practising Beethoven he plays Dream Theater , no Kidding ! I walked in the other day and he's playing stuff of A Dramatic Turn Of Events (straight after Pathetique ) :omg:

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Cyggy, I agree with LG, and I can see that, amongst other things, you are going to be a very valuable asset around here for the small minority of us classical music buffs on CRF - Your son sounds like a true musician, do you play an intrument yourself? Apart from singing in a couple of choirs, I have to confess I am more of a collector and a listener than a player, though my wife is a professional orchestral musician (violin) which is where I got my interest from, I honestly didn't know my Bach from my Buxtehude until I met her! Plus I see you have the GREAT Edward Elgar on your list, also probably one of my 2 or 3 favourite classical composers, along with Ralph Vaughan Williams and Franz Schubert, which immediately promotes you straight onto my Christmas card list!!...

cyggy

Cygnusx1
Reaction score
Cyggy, I agree with LG, and I can see that, amongst other things, you are going to be a very valuable asset around here for the small minority of us classical music buffs on CRF - Your son sounds like a true musician, do you play an intrument yourself? Apart from singing in a couple of choirs, I have to confess I am more of a collector and a listener than a player, though my wife is a professional orchestral musician (violin) which is where I got my interest from, I honestly didn't know my Bach from my Buxtehude until I met her! Plus I see you have the GREAT Edward Elgar on your list, also probably one of my 2 or 3 favourite classical composers, along with Ralph Vaughan Williams and Franz Schubert, which immediately promotes you straight onto my Christmas card list!!...

Thanks friend , I do play around with guitar and bass , but really just a bedroom busker . I started off singing in a choir , got totally knocked out by two musical pieces I heard at that time that set my course ;

1. Hearing and singing the greatest melody I have ever heard ; Mozart , Ave Verum Corpus

2. hearing Bohemian Rhapsody ++

TheSound

Reaction score
Very interesting looking composer line up there StarThrower, I can see that you are partial to mainly 20th Century composers, and the '2nd Viennese School' etc, which is quite refreshing to see, though my own tastes are I'm afraid considerably safer and less demanding on the ear!....though I love Ravel, Debussy and Beethoven.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Beethoven
Debussy
Ravel
Bartok
Varese
Lutoslawski
Schoenberg
Alban Berg
Ligeti
Schnittke

Nice list StarThrower...the only two I am not really familiar with are Ligeti and Schnittke...:think:

TheSound

Reaction score
Ligeti I know composed some music which is actually more famous than most people perhaps realise...Kubrick was a big fan, and he used his music a few times in his movies, that astonishing multi-layered choral work that you hear on the soundtrack to Kubrick's '2001 A Space Odyssey' ...especially the scene where the infamous obelisk appears.... that's Ligeti's 'Lux Aeterna'. I think 'Lux Aeterna' is written in about 16 vocal solo parts, I once sang in a mixed choir when I lived in DC where we actually took it on, but it was just beyond most of us, especially the sopranos and altos, lots of very close and sustained harmonies and hardly anywhere to breathe, so the choir director conceded defeat after about 2 practices, here's why!...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Thanks for the "Illuminating" background on Ligeti TS...:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online